Apple Unveils All-New Modular Mac Pro and 6K Pro Display XDR

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Let the cheese grater jokes begin. Apple’s latest Mac Pro comprises an all-new modular design allowing for 360-degree access to every part of the system. It starts at $5,999 with an eight-core Xeon CPU, 32 GB of memory, a 256 GB SSD, and a Radeon Pro 580X GPU, but the configuration options go all the way up to 28 cores, 1.5 TB of memory, 4 TB SSD, and a Radeon Pro Vega II Duo.

Apple today introduced the all-new Mac Pro, a completely redesigned, breakthrough workstation for pros who push the limits of what a Mac can do, and unveiled Apple Pro Display XDR, the world’s best pro display. Designed for maximum performance, expansion and configurability, the all-new Mac Pro features workstation-class Xeon processors up to 28 cores, a high-performance memory system with a massive 1.5TB capacity, eight PCIe expansion slots and a graphics architecture featuring the world’s most powerful graphics card. It also introduces Apple Afterburner, a game-changing accelerator card that enables playback of three streams of 8K ProRes RAW video simultaneously.

Apple has also announced a 6K display called the Pro Display XDR. It starts at $4,999. A Pro Stand, which allows users to rotate the display into portrait mode, costs $999.

Featuring a 32-inch LCD panel with a 6016 x 3384 Retina 6K resolution with more than 20 million pixels, Pro Display XDR delivers a super-sharp, high-resolution viewing experience with nearly 40 percent more screen real estate than a Retina 5K display. With a P3 wide color gamut and true 10-bit color for over 1 billion colors, pros will have a more true-to-life viewing experience — critical for video and photo editing, 3D animation or color grading. Pro Display XDR also features the industry’s best polarizer technology, delivering a superwide, color-accurate, off-axis viewing angle, so now multiple people can view more accurate content simultaneously. To manage reflected light, Pro Display XDR has an industry-leading anti-reflective coating and offers an innovative new matte option called nano-texture, with glass etched at the nanometer level for low reflectivity and less glare.

Typical Apple. Throw a fancy case on it and charge $6,000 for a computer that you could build for well under 1/3 of the asking price. That's really expensive for mediocre specs like that.

$1k for a monitor stand?
These thieving cunts can **** right off.

The display starts at $5k and still another $1k for the stand it should have. WOW! Apple never ceases to amaze on how many zero's they can add to their nickel and dimes.

Really loving the extra-proprietary expansion card system, keep all that non-Apple made/priced crap outta there!

I've had good experience with their Retina displays, but if I was in a market for a new monitor with $6k in my pocket, I'd go with an Eizo instead.

Become a Patron!
Back