Apple Updates 13″ MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, Kills 12″ MacBook

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Apple has made some significant changes to its MacBook lineup. First, the bad news: the 12" MacBook, which hasn't been updated since 2017, is no longer available on Apple's online store. The implication is that it's been discontinued.

The 13" MacBook Pro is alive and well, however. Apple has updated that variant with Intel's 8th-generation quad-core processors, as well as a Touch Bar with Touch ID and Apple T2 security chip. It also flaunts a True Tone display, which is supposed to make images "appear more natural." Starting price is $1,299, or $1,199 for college students.

The MacBook Air is getting this display, too. Its starting price has been slashed to $1,099 ($999 for students).

“College students love the Mac — it’s the notebook they rely on from the dorm room to the classroom, and the No. 1 choice among higher education students,” said Tom Boger, Apple’s senior director of Mac Product Marketing.

college students love the Mac because Apple propaganda (Job was a master at that) makes college students think they love Mac's.
With the cost of student loans why would most students be buying Mac's anyway?

MacOS has better dpi scaling, generally runs pretty well for a long time and battery life is generally better. If you don't care about gaming, it's a great choice especially for college where you aren't generally doing any performance intensive tasks.

I love my Macs.

That may get me banned from here, but they are just good machines that wear well.

That being said, the laptop lines were due for some consolidation. Especially if they do decide to release that 16" OLED later on. They had 3 compact models (Air, 12", 13" Pro) and there wasn't a whole lot of differentiation between them.

My 2011 MacBook Pro lasted 7 years problem free. Battery life finally bothered me enough to replace it, that and it's no longer supported for Mac OS updates.

So I picked up a 2018 13" MacBook Pro. Hopefully it will last as long.

The touchpad are the best on the market.

Apple just makes **** good laptops.

Become a Patron!
Back