ARM Will Soon Have NVIDIA CUDA Acceleration

alxlwson

Staff member
NVIDIA announced today that they are licensing the CUDA software stack to ARM Holdings. According to NVIDIA, their goal is to support CUDA on every computing platform, through software.

NVIDIA is making available to the Arm®ecosystem its full stack of AI and HPC software — which accelerates more than 600 HPC applications and all AI frameworks — by year’s end. The stack includes all NVIDIA CUDA-X AI and HPC libraries, GPU-accelerated AI frameworks and software development tools such as PGI compilers with OpenACC support and profilers.
Once stack optimization is complete, NVIDIA will accelerate all major CPU architectures, including x86, POWER and Arm.

Looks like in the near future, my refrigerator will even have a CUDA stamp on the front.

Very cool! ARM seems to be getting a lot more love recently.

Very cool! ARM seems to be getting a lot more love recently.

Seems to be the way that HPC will end up going. I think we're going to see a massive influx of new machines that are hyper-paralleled, using a few GPUs to handle the compiling of the data that will be spit out by a large farm of low power ARM processors.

I am always wary of the prophecy of ARM. There have been far too many situations where there was a "better" ISA. Then when I look around and I try to find Power, SPARC, Alpha, MIPS (my personal favorite), Itanium, various VLIW, etc I can't find them. And, the one who ate their lunch ended up being the one that is supposed to be the worst option out there. For ARM specifically, the more and more it does the less and less ARM it becomes. Whereas, the more and more x86 does the more and more x86 it becomes.

Become a Patron!
Back