ASRock Rack Announces Micro-ATX LGA 1700 Motherboards with Quad LAN Ports

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
ASRock Rack has announced two microATX LGA 1700 motherboards. They have two 10 Gigabit LAN ports (Intel X710 chipset) and two Gigabit LAN ports (Intel X210 chipset) managed by a Realtek RTL8211F. The Z690D4U-2L2T supports 12th Gen Intel Pentium, Celeron, and Core processors, but the W680D4U-2L2T only supports the latter.

Go to post

I'm thinking these will go for around 400 bucks a piece. Any takers?

We REALLY need some decently priced home routers/switches for 10 gig networking over cat 6e.
Cat6a?

Second time I've seen '6e', maybe not a US/NA spec...

Anyway, it really depends on what you want in a '10gb router'. Routing isn't hard. But filtering? IPS? Load balancing?

You can throw an Intel X540-T2 server pull in just about anything with an 8x or larger PCIe 2.0+ slot and get the routing part done.

Cat6a?

Second time I've seen '6e', maybe not a US/NA spec...

Anyway, it really depends on what you want in a '10gb router'. Routing isn't hard. But filtering? IPS? Load balancing?

You can throw an Intel X540-T2 server pull in just about anything with an 8x or larger PCIe 2.0+ slot and get the routing part done.
CAT6 is sometimes also called Class E (with 6A being Class Ea, and CAT7 being Class F), since it requires at least Class E wiring for the specification -- the Class dealing with SNR/Crosstalk specifications at specific frequencies of just the cable / twisted pairs, and the CAT dealing with the entire overall communication specs. Higher classed cable will support higher transmission rates over longer distances.

Nothing really stopping you from implementing a CAT5e cable with Class F Cable, just don't go expecting to get 10GB out of it unless every part of the connection (RJ45 connectors, patch panels, jacks, etc) is up to the CAT7 standard (or, at least, for very long cable runs, you might get lucky with small pigtails)

Could also just be confusing it 6a with 5e, which is an easy thing to do as well.

I was thinking cat 6 and got it messed up with 5e so I said 6e instead of leaving it at CAT 6.

Become a Patron!
Back