ASUS Announces ROG STRIX Riser Cable for Vertical GPU Mounting

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
ASUS fans who want to mount their GPUs vertically now have an appropriately branded solution. The company has unveiled its ROG Strix Riser Cable, which is designed to be "foldable" and comes with a reinforced PCIe slot to ensure a solid connection. Sadly, there isn't RGB lighting on this one.

The patented SafeSlot PCIe design makes sure your graphics card's connection more stable and safe. With a length of 240mm and compatible with the PCI-E x 16 3.0 standard, the riser cable features a high-frequency and low-resistance PCB design to reduce interference. The exterior has been covered with EMI shielding to completely block interference and performance degradation.

Sadly, there isn't RGB lighting on this one.
:) Say no to the glow. Should be a sticker for that.

I'm glad that risers are becoming more common as cards get bigger and hotter it's nice to have more options.

Meh. I bet they want a pretty penny for that cable too. I think I spent $20 on my chang shin chinesium cable off Amazon that's been working great.

Meh. I bet they want a pretty penny for that cable too. I think I spent $20 on my chang shin chinesium cable off Amazon that's been working great.

It's probably more expensive than other similar solutions but I doubt it will cost as much as the ones that adapt your existing slots to a vertical mount. this one is for cases that have the capability of mounting GPU's in that way. Mine doesn't, so its a no go for me.

It's probably more expensive than other similar solutions but I doubt it will cost as much as the ones that adapt your existing slots to a vertical mount. this one is for cases that have the capability of mounting GPU's in that way. Mine doesn't, so its a no go for me.
Didn't know that. So no go for me too then. For a moment I was looking forward to matching bracket and same brand cards. Oh well.

So, this is for taking the stress of a big and heavy GPU off of the PCIe slot and prevent GPU sag/warp?

If they claim it's to reduce temperatures, then I'm going to call BS on that since the chassis fans will still be moving the same volume of air, regardless of how things are oriented inside...the integrated cooler on the GPU itself is going to have the most bearing on cooling efficiency.

So, this is for taking the stress of a big and heavy GPU off of the PCIe slot and prevent GPU sag/warp?

If they claim it's to reduce temperatures, then I'm going to call BS on that since the chassis fans will still be moving the same volume of air, regardless of how things are oriented inside...the integrated cooler on the GPU itself is going to have the most bearing on cooling efficiency.

Depending on the case there generally is not a lot of air flow towards the bottom of the case. Though, again, depending on the case there are instances where vertical mounting actually reduces GPU cooling because it places the card too close to the side panel choking off airflow to the fans,

I always thought vertical mounting was more for showing off the card and full card waterblocks. I suppose it can also help with sag.

Could be for reducing the stress but for cooling it can help depending on the mobo/case design. For bigger cases/boards it may not do much but for those smaller ones in could help in getting the card closer to the main vents to breathe better. Not to mention getting the card away from the CPU. On both my rigs I often wonder how much heat is rising from the GPU to the CPU. I've been considering one for years but have occasionally read issues involving the ribbons/connectors not always giving full throughput. Probably not an issue these days but years ago was.

Become a Patron!
Back