ASUS Debuts 4K/144Hz HDR1000 Monitor with DSC

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
ASUS-PG43UQ-1024x576.png

Image: ASUS

Not content with having just released the world’s fastest gaming monitor ASUS released another first last week at CES. This time around they bring the ROG Swift PG43UQ gaming monitor to the table.

Specifications:
  • Size: 43″
  • Resolution: 3840×2160
  • Panel Type: VA
  • Refresh Rate: 144Hz
  • Adaptive Sync: G-Sync Certified
  • Response Time: 1ms MPRT
  • Display HDR1000
  • Color: 90% DCI-P3
  • Contrast Ratio: 4000:1
  • Connectivity: 2 x HDMI 2.0, 2 x Display Port 1.4 with DSC
  • Audio: 2 x 10W Speakers, 3.5mm in/3.5mm out
  • USB: 2 x USB 3.0
ASUS-PG43UQ-table-1024x576.jpg

Image: ASUS

It goes without saying that it would take a powerful system to pump out 144 frames at 4K but with G-Sync they’ve got you covered for tearing issues. What makes this a first is that the monitor supports DSC or Display Steam Compression. This newer standard is what enables them to support that 144Hz/10bit color over DP 1.4. No U.S. prices have been announced but OC3D reported on seeing them at OVERCLOCKERS U.K. for £1,538.95. ASUS states that the response time is with internal testing and may vary under other test conditions.

Last edited:
Wait, how are the existing hdr1000 monitors hooked up then if they don't have DSC? Asus already has a couple 4k/144hz displays.

Wait, how are the existing hdr1000 monitors hooked up then if they don't have DSC? Asus already has a couple 4k/144hz displays.
Not sure. I'd have to see those model specs. It may be that they're not true 10bit and the stream is only 8bit.

I want this monitor, my only concern is how good the va panel is, is it clear and sharp, how is the viewing angle, is there any noticeable ghosting etc... I want to see it in action up close first

43" is a big monitor. Does anybody use one that big for work? Is it super awkward? I use a 24-32-24 arrangement right now.

Another demo that I saw at NVIDIA's suite was the comparison of HDR 400 vs HDR 1000 screens using a COD:MW scene and there was a marked difference in the amount of fire and boom in the visuals.

If this has less black smuging and clearer text, I'll happily sell my xg438q and buy this instead.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-Swift-PG65UQ/specifications/ Is the BFG display that was released a little bit ago. Mentions HDR10 but not a 10 bit display hmmmm.
Honestly really hard to say. They both share many of the same specs. Even the 10bit for the P34UQ is suspect since that was reported via OC3D but not clearly listed in the ASUS spec page. I also noticed that both of these share the UQ in their product names. Additionally if you go to the overview for both it starts out saying IPS gaming monitor even though it says VA on the spec page. I've got a feeling that ASUS may have some typos going on here and it's possible that the 65" model might even have DSC. I'll send an email out to them tonight when I get home.

Another demo that I saw at NVIDIA's suite was the comparison of HDR 400 vs HDR 1000 screens using a COD:MW scene and there was a marked difference in the amount of fire and boom in the visuals.
I believe it. I've noticed significant differences between my Sony Z9D(peak brightness 1375 cd/m²) and LG C9(peak brightness 726 cd/m²). Although the LG C9 has considerable better IQ.

43" is a big monitor. Does anybody use one that big for work? Is it super awkward? I use a 24-32-24 arrangement right now.

I have a 43" Acer 4k monitor on my desk I am staring at right now. Maybe 2 feet back. I almost considered a wall mount to gain another 6 inches and get it off the desk... still thinking about it.

Yeah it's huge when you start out, but you get used to it REALLY quick. It's so nice to be able to turn up the scaling and still remain razor sharp. My old eyes appreciate the bigger picture coming from 27" 1440p (those are now my work laptop monitors, going back and forth requires some eyeball adjustment). When I have to use my laptop display now I have to bust out the reading glasses.

And you have not lived until you play Civ at 4k on a huge monitor. It's awesome. For other games, I roll the chair back a couple feet and play with a controller.

And it was $399, not like the $800 ultrawide curved "gaming" monitors I see everywhere else at Microcenter.

I do work on it sometimes, it can totally replace 2 x 24/27" 1080/1440 monitors in term of real estate.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-Swift-PG65UQ/specifications/ Is the BFG display that was released a little bit ago. Mentions HDR10 but not a 10 bit display hmmmm.
After going back and forth on their product pages I did notice the difference in colors which could be interpreted as to 10 Bit or 8 Bit.

PG65UQ-16.7 million colors-This is usually only 8 Bit
PG43UQ-1.07 billion colors-This is usually only 10 Bit and probably why they needed DSC.

Only real unknown at this point is VA or IPS for the 43". Overview says IPS, specs say VA. We're all used to seeing VA for high refresh rates but high refresh rates IPS panels are happening now. The LG C9's are IPS with native 120Hz 4K so 144Hz wouldn't be that big of a stretch for a high end monitor.

So, if that UK pricing is accurate, I predict it will be $1529.99 USD with prime.

So, if that UK pricing is accurate, I predict it will be $1529.99 USD with prime.

After going back and forth on their product pages I did notice the difference in colors which could be interpreted as to 10 Bit or 8 Bit.

PG65UQ-16.7 million colors-This is usually only 8 Bit
PG43UQ-1.07 billion colors-This is usually only 10 Bit and probably why they needed DSC.

Only real unknown at this point is VA or IPS for the 43". Overview says IPS, specs say VA. We're all used to seeing VA for high refresh rates but high refresh rates IPS panels are happening now. The LG C9's are IPS with native 120Hz 4K so 144Hz wouldn't be that big of a stretch for a high end monitor.

Now I am curious what warrants the price bump over the XG438Q. IPS could be what does it.

I mean, otherwise, if its the same VA panel, and all you get is better selective backlighting to support HDR1000 and DSC, is that really a 40+% price difference?

Yes, right now I have an AOC U4008B, 43" curved 4K display as my primary monitor, I've had it for over a year now, and I wouldn't ever go any smaller, I love the size, it's perfect for 4K. The only issue I have with this monitor is that it has bad ghosting, and no HDR or GSYNC/Freesync support.

Now I am curious what warrants the price bump over the XG438Q. IPS could be what does it.

I mean, otherwise, if its the same VA panel, and all you get is better selective backlighting to support HDR1000 and DSC, is that really a 40+% price difference?
Even if it's VA they do state the color difference which is substantial. 16.7M vs 1.07B. I first experienced what that was like about 4 years ago when I got my LG MU97 31.5". I was truly amazed at how much I wasn't seeing before with 8 bit colors.

Even if it's VA they do state the color difference which is substantial. 16.7M vs 1.07B. I first experienced what that was like about 4 years ago when I got my LG MU97 31.5". I was truly amazed at how much I wasn't seeing before with 8 bit colors.

The part I don't fully understand is why you need more than 16.7m colors when you are (at 4k) dealing with only 8.3 million pixels.

You could put a unique color on each pixel, and still only have used half of your available palette.

Become a Patron!
Back