ASUS ROG Ally Is Powered by AMD Ryzen 7 7840U Z1 Series Processor (Zen 4) and Radeon 780M Graphics (RDNA 3)

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The ROG Ally, ASUS ROG's new gaming handheld and Steam Deck competitor, will feature a custom AMD Ryzen 7 7840U processor with Radeon 780M graphics, according to a shipping manifest that was discovered online by VideoCardz. This APU does not appear to be mentioned anywhere on the official AMD site yet, but it is presumably much more powerful than what the Steam Deck uses, which is listed as being an AMD APU that features a Zen 2-based CPU (4C/8T) and GPU with 8 RDNA 2 CUs. A promotional image that HXL has shared can confirm that the ROG Ally's APU is being branded under the Z1 Series.

See full article...

Huh.. another win for and in the custom soc market. I'm starting to think NVIDIA is going to go enterprise only.

I'm starting to think NVIDIA is going to go enterprise only.
I doubt they'll fully back out but it sure feels like the biggest push is there and then with the top-tier cards but a part of me keeps wondering if there are some surprises on the horizon. It's interesting to look at, AMD still has a lot going on with its EPYC servers which often get paired with an NVIDIA GPU but then on the total opposite side of the spectrum they're everywhere with the custom SOCs. I'm still surprised we don't see more Tegra stuff anymore. I had a Toshiba tablet that had one and thought it was pretty cool. At this point, I keep wondering how long until Nintendo goes AMD.

Become a Patron!
Back