ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi X570 Motherboard Review

DPC latency is notoriously high in Win 10 1903, it's a widespread, and known/discussed issue. While it is possible the boards on the graph with higher DPC latencies actually do exhibit this behavior; it could also be 1903 causing the issue if all of the boards showing high DPC latency were tested on Win 10 1903.

Out of that list, only the X570 motherboards were tested on Windows 10 1903. The rest were tested on earlier revisions. Some are numbers I pulled from the old HardOCP reviews just to have something for comparison.

Thank you Dan for this excellent review. Nice to see the various onboard components tested and discussed. I'm still liking my X470 based C7H Wifi but if I was in the market for a new MB, the C8H Wifi would be it. I'm not too concerned about the boost "issue". I think over time this will continue to be updated via AGESA updates and will become a thing of the past. At least I hope so. It's just not really a big issue unless some vocal minority cause it to become a legal thing due to the printing on the box.

Well, as I said, one of the two 3700X's actually boosted nearly correctly. It was certainly close enough. The other didn't, and neither did the Ryzen 9 3900X.

Thanks Dan for another amazingly well documented review.

Much like a kid who enjoys the box more than the toy that came in it, I really enjoyed reading the history of Asus leading into the review. Never planned on being a fan of Asus but over the years they've infiltrated quite a bit of my builds. No motherboards, yet, though. I have been happy with everything I've purchased so far.

Thanks Dan for another amazingly well documented review.

Much like a kid who enjoys the box more than the toy that came in it, I really enjoyed reading the history of Asus leading into the review. Never planned on being a fan of Asus but over the years they've infiltrated quite a bit of my builds. No motherboards, yet, though. I have been happy with everything I've purchased so far.

Thank you. I've always figured people skipped that part of the intro. :)

Jeez.

Always with the wifi.

IMHO if you are using WiFi on a desktop you shouldn't be using a desktop.

The safe boot switch on ASUS upper range motherboards is worth it's weight in gold. The Gigabyte Master and this Board really makes it hard to decide which one one would want. For me the board you dreaded it seems, which I did not expect would work well, is doing well with a 3900x (CrossHair 6 Hero).

Very solid review minus some of the important data points with the 3900x ;).

I bought one of these boards for a new 3700X based PC.
Been a long while since I owned an AMD based board/CPU.
I have built nearly all my PCs centered around the Hero.
I have to say, this one is packed.
The build was cake and once I figured out where all the settings were, Boost worked flawlessly.

My only problem was a bad BIOS flash that jacked my SSD. Wouldnt boot to the OS following the flash (BIOS 1001, latest version)

I had to reinstall the OS after reinstalling the BIOS.

Other than than that hiccup, the board doesn't disappoint.

It's a very familiar ROG board and BIOS, very solid with no issues other than learning AMD particulars vs Intel.

It is pricey though.......I bought the "cheap" no wifi version.......never did like the wifi's........

Why the hate for wifi? It's handy if you move the PC to a place where there is no wired connection.

The safe boot switch on ASUS upper range motherboards is worth it's weight in gold. The Gigabyte Master and this Board really makes it hard to decide which one one would want. For me the board you dreaded it seems, which I did not expect would work well, is doing well with a 3900x (CrossHair 6 Hero).

Very solid review minus some of the important data points with the 3900x ;).

It was two tests. Two tests that are new to our lineup.

Why the hate for wifi? It's handy if you move the PC to a place where there is no wired connection.

Its simple: WiFi is slower and less reliable than wired connections are.

Really appreciate reviews like this, thanks a ton Dan. I might not be happy with the price, but I can't say I haven't paid more than that for a motherboard. They were HEDT boards though.

I think for those very rare times you might find yourself in need of WiFi on a desktop, better to just have a good separate card lying around. I don't mind WiFi on a motherboard if it doesn't increase the cost. I'm one of those dudes though who would rather just string Ethernet cables to every room. Only effort to hide them out of the way would be to reduce possible damage to the cables from clumsy humans like myself. Don't care about the aesthetics and how it makes the house look. I care about my network bandwidth, and I can't be bothered to run **** through walls (although I will drill through floors/ceilings).

Become a Patron!
Back