Blizzard Preparing for StarCraft III?

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
starcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm-kerrigan-1024x576.jpg
Image: Blizzard

A sequel to StarCraft II seems inevitable, but Blizzard may have finally set the gears in motion for a third installment. In a new update pertaining to the future of StarCraft II, the developer and publishing giant suggested that it was distancing itself from the decade-old game so it could put more thought into “what’s next.” While that could mean anything (movie? card game? another out-of-season April Fools’ joke?), it sounds a bit like StarCraft III to us.

“We know some of our players have been looking forward to some of the things we’re moving away from, but the good news is this change will free us up to think about what’s next, not just with regard to StarCraft II, but...

Continue reading...

Mike Morhaime was the only reason SC2 got the support it did. Activision knows there is no money in RTS games. I expect a StarCraft FPS.

I also expect Dreamhaven to be releasing a spiritual successor to StarCraft.

Forgot never played SC2 ... Supposed to get it with my brother, too busy being busy.

This doesn't really excite me like it once would. Blizz just ain't what she used to be.

This doesn't really excite me like it once would. Blizz just ain't what she used to be.

My tbought was... "I thought Chinese companies couldn't make games in the us." Being sparky. But really I am in the same boat. I don't care what blizzard does nearly as much. Sc2 I got the collectors edition. This one if I buy it I might wait for it to go on sale.

SC2 was Mike's baby.
As soon as they dropped HOTS and SC2 esports is when I knew Mike had been overruled/outed.

Mike would regularly fly to South Korea to watch professional StarCraft games in the crowd as a fan.

To say it was his baby is an understatement. Starcraft esports was Mike's passion.

Mike Morhaime was the only reason SC2 got the support it did. Activision knows there is no money in RTS games. I expect a StarCraft FPS.

I also expect Dreamhaven to be releasing a spiritual successor to StarCraft.
yup, that's why its still one of the biggest e-sports worldwide
I think the article is spot on
I think SC is done. I love it, but other than improving the graphics and balancing playgame there's not much else to do. The story is done anyway

They could go the WoW route tough.

yup, that's why its still one of the biggest e-sports worldwide
I think the article is spot on
I think SC is done. I love it, but other than improving the graphics and balancing playgame there's not much else to do. The story is done anyway

They could go the WoW route tough.
That will be the next WoW xpac. After returning from the Shadowlands our heroes find Azeroth overrun by alien invaders. The potential to piss off not only WoW diehards but SC fans, too? Too tempting to pass up.

That will be the next WoW xpac. After returning from the Shadowlands our heroes find Azeroth overrun by alien invaders. The potential to piss off not only WoW diehards but SC fans, too? Too tempting to pass up.
actually I can see Blizzard trying to pull it off

The writing was on the wall for this for a long time now. Last year SC made its last appearance at Blizzcon, so this news isn't anything new, really. They still have a valid contract to support esports til end of 2022, so I don't see anything new showing up for a while. But beyond that... it's anyone's guess.

SC3? Doubt it.... but I can totally see them trying to do a spinoff for mobile akin to that of a C&C. Or another attempt at SC: Ghost, but that's even less likely.

I still try to play it every few months.... I've got countless of hours and thousands of online matches dumped into it at this point, but I never finished the single player campaign. Come to think of it... I don't think I ever finished the campaign in the original SC either. Definitely not in BW.

The writing was on the wall for this for a long time now. Last year SC made its last appearance at Blizzcon, so this news isn't anything new, really. They still have a valid contract to support esports til end of 2022, so I don't see anything new showing up for a while. But beyond that... it's anyone's guess.

SC3? Doubt it.... but I can totally see them trying to do a spinoff for mobile akin to that of a C&C. Or another attempt at SC: Ghost, but that's even less likely.

I still try to play it every few months.... I've got countless of hours and thousands of online matches dumped into it at this point, but I never finished the single player campaign. Come to think of it... I don't think I ever finished the campaign in the original SC either. Definitely not in BW.
I still play BW and SC2 from time to time, I'm still doing achievements, never got the protoss campaign nor the nova expansion. Maybe in the future

Become a Patron!
Back