Borderlands 3 Suffers from a Long List of Embarrassing Technical Issues

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The complaints are piling up for 2K and Gearbox Software's newly released Borderlands 3. One of the major issues lies with the threequel's DX12 implementation, which results in ridiculously long boot-up times. Then there's the stuttering, broken cutscenes on ultrawide monitors, and language errors.

Console gamers aren't happy, either. The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions also plagued by frame rate problems, as well as lag in split-screen and co-op mode. Even menu screens are glitching out.

AMD has confirmed that the developers are working on a patch for Borderlands 3's DX12 implementation, which will presumably address some of the other problems as well. There is no ETA, but for the time being, PC fans may want to stick to DX11 mode.

In light of Borderlands 3 PC launching as a timed exclusive on the Epic Games store, which does not have a forum, players are turning to other places to ask for help - and troll. ...it's the Borderlands 2 Steam page where most discussion is being had - and not all of it is helpful or wanted, it seems.

my wife and I enjoy split screen coop games together on XBOX.. Gears of War, Army of Two, Halo (Halo5 though .. come on guys!!), etc .... and the previous Borderlands.

I guess we'll wait a bit for this one :rolleyes:

I can half-way understand teething on PC, but not on console. You don't have to deal with an infinite number of hardware/software combos

Reactions: _k_
Not sure what the strategy is launching a game this buggy (these types of issues seem like they would've been easy to notice during QA). Maybe to get a jump on the Destiny 2 expansion?

I've done a full play through of the game minus a few side quests on my first go, and I ran into very few issues personally. I guess it's just a bit of luck, but the only issue I had was one quest showing the wrong area to be in later in the game.

Not sure what the strategy is launching a game this buggy (these types of issues seem like they would've been easy to notice during QA). Maybe to get a jump on the Destiny 2 expansion?

May have had to do with financial quarterly accounting moreso than anything. Just speculating, this fall does have a lot of big releases slated, but I don't see any direct competition in the looter shooter genre.

Maybe, as you say, Destiny 2 since it's about to come out on Steam? I think it has more to do with internal politics though than external sales pressure.

BL3 had announced its release date of 09/13 before D2 initially was shooting for a launch the same week, then Bungie postponed it to the 10/01 launch date.

Unless it is a release by From Software or Nintendo; the trend these days is that no game launch will be low on the bugs or problems.

I've done a full play through of the game minus a few side quests on my first go, and I ran into very few issues personally. I guess it's just a bit of luck, but the only issue I had was one quest showing the wrong area to be in later in the game.

I've got a few hours into it myself and haven't noticed any issue either. Seems to be running pretty well so far.

I know the DX12 bug is pretty widespread but haven't heard of the others. Wonder if they're real issues or just a couple isolated problems that are getting a little extra press.

At about 75 hours in, I still have only had a single issue with an errant quest marker that was fixed by exiting to the menu and going back to the area. I've been running DX12 on the R VII because DX11 gives me strange stuttering and I lose 10-15fps.

Become a Patron!
Back