Capcom Restores Non-Ray-Traced Versions of Resident Evil 2, 3, and 7 following Backlash over Increased System Requirements, Mod Incompatibility

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Capcom released next-gen versions of Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, and Resident Evil 7 biohazard earlier this week, adding ray tracing and other much appreciated features to the three survival horror games, but not everyone has been happy with it for reasons that include increased system requirements and incompatibility with older mods due to the move to DirectX 12.

Go to post

Yep there is a switch for the RT. At this point I've tested 2, 3, and 7. BTW 7 looks amazing on the new monitor with RT enabled. That game was always the worst when it came to it's HDR implementation (even when I tested it on the C9/Z9D) due to either WDM or NV drivers doing weird things with it, but is now perfect.

I think the fuss they're making is probably over all the custom mod character skins. I often browse DSOG and there are a ton of them, from other RE characters to ones from other games and anime plus nudes, that is usually DX specific so if a game makes an exclusive change to a different DX version the mods will not work. TBH sure Capcom could've included a DX 11/12 switch in the game and worst-case scenario it tells you it has to restart like some other games do but still if anyone is complaining purely about the performance requirement of having a GPU that supports DX12 I think they need to get over it. DX12 came out in 2015.

that is usually DX specific so if a game makes an exclusive change to a different DX version the mods will not work.
I can count at least half a dozen games on my system that have a toggle for which DX revision they use. Most require the game to restart when you do, but that isn't too big of an ask.

So, my question still is (rhetorical, not aimed at Peter) -- why did they make this change exclusive?

I can count at least half a dozen games on my system that have a toggle for which DX revision they use. Most require the game to restart when you do, but that isn't too big of an ask.

So, my question still is (rhetorical, not aimed at Peter) -- why did they make this change exclusive?
It's all good and I honestly don't know. I'm guessing that they just didn't put the effort into the coding. I know the downloads for the DX12 versions were close to a full install so maybe that meant their approach ended up with some drastically different build files. It doesn't make sense though. I didn't catch the DL size for RE 2, it was just ready when I went to play it but Steam had 3 + 7 queued and they were 25 GB + 53 GB respectively.

I totally agree that a switch should've been present. That's been a standard since DX 9>10 or 10>11 days. Granted it was rare back then but that's how far back I can remember seeing one. I think it was Crysis 2 or something.

Become a Patron!
Back