CD PROJEKT RED Teases Patch Plans for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, including Improved CPU Core Utilization, Ray Tracing Fixes, and More

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
CD PROJEKT RED (CDPR) recently released a new patch (4.01) for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt that improves the overall stability and performance of the game on next-gen consoles and PC, including the addition of a PC-specific performance mode for ray-traced global illuminations, but the developer isn't stopping there. According to a post that an employee shared on the official CDPR Forum today, the team is planning additional patches that should not only improve performance in the game even further via certain channels (e.g., better handling of CPU core utilization), but also resolve a number of outstanding issues, such as anomalies with ray tracing and game crashes. Users who have encountered problems with the game are encouraged to report their findings to CD PROJEKT RED's technical support.

See full article...

I have to say that 4.01 was pretty useless. It's great they added that setting but it doesn't really help. It's kind of sad that even with RT turned off this version still runs like crap compared to the original DX11 w/ similar mods. I tried playing it on the 3090 Ti/CRG9 rig a couple of weeks back and had to turn off so much stuff just to get to 30-40 FPS that the game looked absolutely horrid by then.

Meanwhile, it does look spectacular on the 4090/C2 setup but will avg 45-55 most of the time, with nearly everything maxed except post-processing stuff. On the 3090 Ti rig I can play CB2077 with similar maxed settings and get 35-55 FPS. It seems that with this game that FPS really tanks whenever there are a bunch of NPCs on the screen at the same time. If I go indoors, or there are only a couple onscreen it jumps significantly (roughly double)

Ever since that story about ReBar and Dead Space, I've been tinkering with NVPI and I think I've made some minor gains but not enough to write home about (I just increased the cache size to 5GB from 4GB this morning but haven't had a chance to test it). Meanwhile, I think I got rid of the purple glass effect, I had to add another setting for ReBar.

I guess this is the way of promoting next releases, keep people talking , and revisiting the game.

So I did some more experimenting with this on the weekend. On both rigs, I've enabled Rebar via NV Profile Inspector and increased the cache size to 10 GB (the default is 4GB). After doing this I also enabled frame generation on the 4090 (2925 MHz) and whether it was due to other updates and/or these changes as well, it is working a lot better now. I still see some stutters as it tries to figure things out in between various animations but not nearly as dramatic as before. With frame generation on, DLSS quality, and everything maxed (sans post junk as usual), I was seeing 80-110 FPS at 4K. It honestly was the best experience yet with this version of the game. Still not perfect but much better than before.

With the 3090 Ti (2160 MHz) I did the same, sans frame generation, and it improved somewhat. FPS was 40-55 with dips in the 30s as opposed to 30s most of the time. Still rough but at least playable. I'm still considering that mod that reduces the ray counts, etc. but I've heard is that CDPR might be going to release an update that does the same. If anyone decides to try rebar on their own just make sure to turn on and assign all 3 three profile settings (I don't remember which I chose but it was the one with the most games listed in it). As far as cache goes there's a 5GB setting but I figured why not hit it with a hammer and go with 10GB since I've got this installed on PCIe 4.0 SSDs on both rigs, which may have helped. I also used HXD to get the cutscenes back to 32:9.

Become a Patron!
Back