Check Out This Portable AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X Workstation

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
mediasensations-a-xp-portable-threadripper-workstation-pc-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

MediaWorkstations is selling a briefcase-shaped workstation PC for those of you who have dreamed of hauling the power of AMD’s Ryzen Threadripper processors into Starbucks. The a-XP, as it’s called, starts at $7,997 and weighs 30 to 45 pounds, which doesn’t seem too bad for the power it’s packing. It also seems to be quite airport-friendly, as it can be turned into a piece of luggage.

“Featuring an AMD Threadripper CPU up to 64 cores, 256GB RAM, up to two discrete GPUs and space for two additional single slot PCIe cards, the a-XP Portable AMD Threadripper Workstation PC is the mobile version of our a-X, a cost effective and powerful portable workstation ready to go wherever you need to,” wrote MediaWorkstations.

The a-XP can be fitted with a...

Continue reading...

@Dan_D inwas thinking the exact same thing. I remember as a kid playing test drive on one in shades of orange.

But there is a market for this. Now you can give your cad and other designer type roles that need this sort of power a system that they can have at home and more reliably transport and ship. I mean really. Just add a couple external monitors and keyboard and mouse and run this closed and it's a workstation built to be moved.

I always wanted a "lunch box" case, but they are pricey.

With the covid stuff, having a portable, highly upgradable, cad box could have a niche right now.

I kind of want one, but no way I'm paying that price. I am pretty sure I can build something cheaper, just gotta figure out an easy method for toting the keyboard/mouse around. Pretty sure I can use one of those portable LCDs and just mount it to the side of the case.

I kind of want one, but no way I'm paying that price. I am pretty sure I can build something cheaper, just gotta figure out an easy method for toting the keyboard/mouse around. Pretty sure I can use one of those portable LCDs and just mount it to the side of the case.

Sure you can build one cheaper. But can you support one?

Looks like an old P90 Dolch I used to have. They were commonly used in the late 90's early 2000's as portable Sniffer systems with multiple NICs in them. Sadly mine developed problems with the LCD panel. During an attempt to fix it I broke it even worse. Parts were hard to come by, and honestly it was only a music streamer for me at that point.

They still make the lunchbox PC cases. I'd settle for a 3900x instead of a TR.

Urge to build one rising.....

Not sure what you mean by support. I mean, I'll use it with tinder love and care.

You can make one for yourself but organizations that buy these aren't so much concerned with the purchase price. (Licensing of software normally triples that easily.) they are more concerned with the supported life-cycle of the system and the assurance that if it breaks it can be replaced or fixed in a limited window of time.

You can make one for yourself but organizations that buy these aren't so much concerned with the purchase price. (Licensing of software normally triples that easily.) they are more concerned with the supported life-cycle of the system and the assurance that if it breaks it can be replaced or fixed in a limited window of time.

Yeah... I was talking about making one for myself, not anyone else. :LOL:

Yeah... I was talking about making one for myself, not anyone else. :LOL:

I got that... and making a one off for yourself would be cheaper of course. But I was just trying to make the point that building in the ability to support the device long term is important to them so there is some inflation of cost to allow that to happen.

IF I were into design work that needed that kind of power and the company I work for shipped me one of those as opposed to making me use a VDI with allocated slices of a video card... I imagine my overall production would go up if the size of the files I was working on were reasonable. Or my connection was VAST.

Problem is this doesn't resolve the problem with mobile or home workers having appropriate bandwidth. Using a Virtual Desktop would still be a better solution for larger design/video production houses because of the need to transport that work to and from the servers for the next stages.

This is more, I think, for the smaller studios or semi successful youtubers and such to be able to go to the next level in their work.

Become a Patron!
Back