Coffee Lake Refresh Benchmarks Spotted in the Wild

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Well, the folks over at Tom's Hardware have spotted benchmarks for the new i9 9900T from Intel in Geekbench. For those not in the know, Intel has taken an interesting approach with the 9900 series with five variations of the chip. How about some power without using so much power eh? They've taken on AMD on for max clocks with this series and now with a paltry TDP of 35 watts they're gunning for lowest power usage too. These 8 core/16 thread CPU's might hurt your wallet upfront but in the long run will help keep those electric bills down all while providing plenty of computing power.
1566477525649.png
From Tom's, "You still get the eight cores, 16 threads, 16MB of cache and Intel UHD Graphics 630 as the full-grown part. The Core i9-9900T's only setback is the lower operating clocks, which are to be expected considering that the chip is trapped inside a 35W envelope. The Core i9-9900T has a 2.1 GHz base clock and a 4.4 GHz boost clock."

It'll also be interesting to not only see the real world performance numbers for this but also the temperatures. In these hotter times who doesn't want a system producing less heat and using less power? That is, unless, you like seeing how many lights you can dim in the neighborhood while producing a heat signature that can be seen from orbit. Hey buddy, that AIO isn't fooling anyone and neither is the underrated UPS beeping to be put out of its misery.

As a gamer, and someone concerned about long term options of new tech like PCIe 4.0, I'm still leaning towards Ryzen for the future but I can also see how some users may simply need an efficient processor to get the job done plus all the benefits that can have. What do you think?

Not to sound too noobish, but wouldn't the Processor ID's be different between the 2 systems?

Not to sound too noobish, but wouldn't the Processor ID's be different between the 2 systems?
Good catch. A bit suspicious but in the last couple of years Intel has been seen to some interesting things with CPU ID's and such. There have been a number of stories in the last couple of years with laptops getting different sku's nobody knew about that had different clocks but same names. Worth keeping an eye on for sure.

Become a Patron!
Back