COLORFUL GeForce RTX 4090 Series Neptune Model Graphics Cards Featuring AIO With a 360 mm Radiator and Full-Cover Copper Waterblock Announced

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
COLORFUL has announced the COLORFUL GeForce RTX 4090 Series Neptune Model Graphics Cards featuring an impressive AIO solution. As many are aware NVIDIA formally revealed...

Go to post

While cool, no pun intended, I often wonder why these cards with AIO's cost less than the same card with a waterblock only.

I've never even heard of Colorful before.

Are they related to PowerColor? :p

I'd love to get my hands on a white 4 series (preferably a 16GB 4080) but considering how rare and expensive white video cards seem to be I doubt that will happen. I Don't know Colorful nor do I want to deal with another AIO in my system so I'll probably pass on this one.

I've never even heard of Colorful before.

Are they related to PowerColor? :p
They're huge in Asia but we rarely hear about them stateside. Some of the European sites occasionally report on product releases as well because there are some sales reps in Europe. They and Galax are probably two of the biggest we don't get here, but probably should since both tend to make cards that easily rival anything from MSI/ASUS/GIGABYTE. I'm not saying those three are bad but they have stiffer competition overseas.

They're huge in Asia but we rarely hear about them stateside. Some of the European sites occasionally report on product releases as well because there are some sales reps in Europe. They and Galax are probably two of the biggest we don't get here, but probably should since both tend to make cards that easily rival anything from MSI/ASUS/GIGABYTE. I'm not saying those three are bad but they have stiffer competition overseas.

Are Galax and Galaxy the same? I remember Galaxy (but I don't think I've heard the name in a while)

Edit:

Wikipedia confirms Galaxy and Galax are both brands of Palit Microsystems.

I think so. At one point when I was chatting with David, he explained how Galax(y) used to be here in the U.S. and we both think that when it switched to overseas only it became Galax. I/we could be wrong but that's the ongoing theory. Oddly enough there is an online Galax store page but it almost never gets the latest launch products, only previous items. I originally was gaga over their 3090 last year and was never able to source one.

FYI I had no idea that if you put Y inside parenthesis it makes the thumbs up emoji. I had tried to do that above with Galaxy - with parenthesis and got the thumbs up instead.

Huh... maybe an AIO card this generation... that's something to think about.
Those with a nice custom loop will almost always fare better but the 360 mm AIOs can be really impressive as well. I'm so happy with the Hybrid EVGA 3090 Ti I got but an AIO coupled with a full block is the cherry on top. I have seen some OC limits with the VRAM on my Hybrid but the GPU purrs at 2040-2055 all day long and can even go above 2125 w/o going over 65c but I'm totally content with the stock speed and minimal noise.

Yup. But a nice custom loop will cost 3-5x more than an AIO will, so there is that.

That is true, but most of it is a one time investment.

You can keep the loop in there, usually the CPU block can be kept as well even through upgrades.

The only part you really need to change is the fullcover GPU block which is usually different from GPU to GPU.

And if you are a little smart about your build (don't use hard tubes, use soft tubes with a little slack) you don't even need to rework the loop when you upgrade stuff.

Because they know you'll pay it.
Kinda, maybe....depends. If the card and waterblock bought separately is less than the combo I'll go that route. Most of the time that is the case. My last two Aorus cards were like that.

Kinda, maybe....depends. If the card and waterblock bought separately is less than the combo I'll go that route. Most of the time that is the case. My last two Aorus cards were like that.

I went this route last time around for the first time with my XFX GPU, and honestly, I don't think I'd do it again.

Even with a separate GPU there is some waste. Usually you remove the water block, sell the old GPU and never find a buyer for the block. (I still have my Titan X / 1080ti block in my closet a year later. But with a separate water block, when you are done with it, it is fairly trivial to stick the stock cooler back on and sell it to a broad market of users or even use it in a secondary or friends or family system.

With only a water block, those options are much more limited. It winds up being difficult to sell (because most buyers don't have custom water loops, and those who do, usually buy latest gen stuff) and if you want to re-use it in a friends/family members system you have to build them at least a partial water loop.

Because of this, the risk of the GPU just sitting in a box and aging unused after I am done with it in my main system is not insignificant. it feels like a real waste.

I really don't care if a waterblock sits in my closet. I've sold a couple blocks in the past for dirt cheap to people. Or I just toss them if no one wants them within a couple months of taking it out of my system. I go in to the purchase with the mindset that it is disposable.

I also have a feeling that a lot more people are going to be building custom loops with these new cards. 450W is a LOT of heat to dissipate.

Become a Patron!
Back