Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cooler Review

I'm currently using an old (ordered in 2010) Hyper 212 Plus with my 1700X since the CPU didn't come with a cooler. Luckily I have a microcenter nearby so the AM4 X-bracket only cost me a couple of bucks instead of "free" plus $15 shipping- if you go with this cooler on AM4, maybe check amazon and ebay, etc to see if you can get the bracket for less than $15 direct. I needed to install some rubber washers on the back of the motherboard to keep the cooler seated tightly, but it's been working just fine for general gaming.

I'll probably keep this cooler going until I upgrade to one of the 3000 CPUs at which point I'll either use the bundled cooler or look into a higher-end air cooler like something from Noctua.

Looking forward to more cooler reviews!

I've been perfectly please with the 212 EVO. I don't overclock, but needed something better than the stock cooler for overall temperature and noise. Unfortunately I have lost a couple of the nuts and "bolts" to one of my coolers in one of my hardware switcharoo's, and Cooler Master doesn't have a replacement kit available for this model.

Good to see you guys back in Action. I just stumbled on your site (VERY HAPPY). Like Space Ranger posted above, it would be nice to see some comparisons with other coolers. I am guessing that as you add more reviews, you will include the old review numbers for comparison?

Good review. Only thing I would like to see on it is if an additional fan with a push/pull config would be worthwhile to stabalizing your system even under prime95/futuremark with the overclock.

I know you're testing (mostly) what comes out of the box. And this is indeed a venerable cooler.

Good to see you guys back in Action. I just stumbled on your site (VERY HAPPY). Like Space Ranger posted above, it would be nice to see some comparisons with other coolers. I am guessing that as you add more reviews, you will include the old review numbers for comparison?

Correct - as we do more reviews of coolers we will have more comparison data and will publish that. There are also plans to do some interactive things with the data that we're collecting in each of the areas that we're reviewing, but that's still a ways off (and we need far more data than we have now to make it work).

Nice to see an old favorite still holding up. Next, how about doing one of the $30-ish Enermax coolers? reviews of those things are elusive.

Thanks for the review. Love this cooler. I used for 2 builds so far. Both Intel instead of AMD and both are overclocked as well. It holds ~40c-60c for the 2600k rig @ 4.2Ghz depending on load using stock/auto speeds from the motherboard. It's also doing a pretty good job of keeping my 4930k @ 4.3Ghz in the 55c-65c range depending on load but that's manually set to 100%.

Just curious. Does anyone have any stories to tell with setting up a 2nd fan for the push/pull configuration? I've always wondered how effective it would be.

For such a cheap cooler the results look rather spectacular. This will be a good baseline for other cooler to justify a higher price tag. Enjoyed this review even though I am not looking for a cooler. As a thought comparing it to a stock AMD Wrath Prism Cooler on the Ryzen 3's could help others see the differences upgrading from the provided box cooler.

Really digging how you guys keep alternating reviews across the entire PC spectrum and not just concentrating on the GPU/CPU. 🤘

Also, 212 EVO is awesome! Been using it it for as long as I can remember...

I use a Hyper T4 which essentially is the same cooler. Replaced the stock fan with a Corsair LED one and I'm happy. Even with the stock fan it kept my temps on the 8700k very cool.

Been using this cooler for year and am happy with it. Have a 3770k with a mild overclock to 4.4GHz and it keeps things cool and quiet.

I'm looking forward to when you have more cooler reviews and test data to compare.

Great thorough review. I have that cooler and it's still working great on my second build my son uses. It was good to read about it again.

How did the Evo compare to the Wraith Prism that comes with the 2700X for instance?
As a thought comparing it to a stock AMD Wrath Prism Cooler on the Ryzen 3's could help others see the differences upgrading from the provided box cooler.

Heard, I will put together a full review on the Wraith Prism soon :)

Good review. Only thing I would like to see on it is if an additional fan with a push/pull config would be worthwhile to stabalizing your system even under prime95/futuremark with the overclock.
Just curious. Does anyone have any stories to tell with setting up a 2nd fan for the push/pull configuration? I've always wondered how effective it would be.

Let me try and source a matching fan (or as close as I can from CM) and I'll do an update with it in push/pull since it is such a popular cooler. Wouldn't be prudent to slap some fans on it that cost more than the cooler itself to do the test though heh.

Really glad you all enjoyed the review, and I seriously appreciate the feedback as the new testing and review methodologies get completely ironed out.

I've used one of these for years. Tossed on an extra fan, not even sure it improved anything, but I had it lying around. It's pretty wicked that this thing not only still holds up in 2019, but it does it at a budget price.

Good review. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for these things. The 212+ was my first "high end" cooler back in the day and it ran my Phenom X6 1090 at 3.9 for a long time. Even used it on my FX 8150 when I "upgraded" to that and it handled it to 4.2 Ghz if I remember right but ran out of juice passed that.

Good review. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for these things. The 212+ was my first "high end" cooler back in the day and it ran my Phenom X6 1090 at 3.9 for a long time. Even used it on my FX 8150 when I "upgraded" to that and it handled it to 4.2 Ghz if I remember right but ran out of juice passed that.

I often mix it up but that's pretty much what happened with my builds. The 4930k has a 212+ that it inherited from the 2600k when I did that build 3-4 years after. A year or so later I put the 2600k back together and ordered the EVO for it. All are still chugging along and doing exactly what they're supposed to.:)

I'm currently using an old (ordered in 2010) Hyper 212 Plus with my 1700X since the CPU didn't come with a cooler. Luckily I have a microcenter nearby so the AM4 X-bracket only cost me a couple of bucks instead of "free" plus $15 shipping- if you go with this cooler on AM4, maybe check amazon and ebay, etc to see if you can get the bracket for less than $15 direct. I needed to install some rubber washers on the back of the motherboard to keep the cooler seated tightly, but it's been working just fine for general gaming.

I'll probably keep this cooler going until I upgrade to one of the 3000 CPUs at which point I'll either use the bundled cooler or look into a higher-end air cooler like something from Noctua.

Looking forward to more cooler reviews!

I also am using an old 212 "Plus" with AM4 scissor and home depot rubber washers on the backplate to tighten it up. No issues on R1700 but I'm not OCing it.

On my newer rig with a R2700x I have the updated Hyper 212 LED "turbo" RR212-TK which is just an Evo with 2 fans in push/pull (and some crappy LED lights.. $30 on Newegg after $10 MIR). It does much better than the Wraith Prism the CPU came with.

Become a Patron!
Back