Corsair Acquires Custom Gaming Desktop and Laptop Maker Origin PC

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Corsair is the proud new owner of custom computer manufacturer Origin PC. The company was founded by ex-Alienware employees in 2009 and built its reputation over the years with high-quality gaming machines, which are uniquely focused on "Customization, Service, Gaming, and Technology."

The acquisition will bolster Corsair's efforts in attracting gamers who would prefer to buy rather than build their systems. Corsair's own branded range of systems (Vengeance PC, Corsair One, Corsair One Pro) will continue to be available.

Origin PC was recently in the news for its "Big O" system, which combines a high-performance PC, PlayStation 4 Pro, Xbox One X, and Nintendo Switch into a single tower. The company built the machine to celebrate its 10th Anniversary.

“CORSAIR is a fantastic partner to help take ORIGIN PC forward, known for creating quality, high-performance products that fully align with ORIGIN PC,” said Kevin Wasielewski, CEO of ORIGIN PC. “With a complete range of enthusiast PC products, ORIGIN PC and CORSAIR are uniquely placed to create amazing new systems that make the experience of owning a personalized custom gaming PC better than ever.

I try not to post in this fashion but OMG WTF! with the Big O. Thing looks like the Homer of desktop rigs. I normally like things with multipurpose options but I almost threw up looking at that thing. If there ever was a Homer award, this just won it.
TheHomer.png

Corsair acquired Origin PC? That's hella random.

I dunno, Corsair has shown interest in the desktop space. The Corsair One (iirc) was a pre-built system, so maybe it was successful enough that they want more of that pre-built revenue pie.

I dunno, Corsair has shown interest in the desktop space. The Corsair One (iirc) was a pre-built system, so maybe it was successful enough that they want more of that pre-built revenue pie.

They've dabbled in the prebuilt PC's before. Corsair wants a piece of every part of the PC industry. So this didn't surprise me at all.

They've dabbled in the prebuilt PC's before. Corsair wants a piece of every part of the PC industry. So this didn't surprise me at all.

I agree. Seen something like this coming from Corsair eventually.

Pretty cool move on Corsair's part.
Origin is a very pricey builder, maybe they can use their clout to bring the prices down a bit?
I've only had one pre built PC, but this joint effort seems like a logical step for Corsair.
One thing that will be head and shoulders above will be customer service!

Oh, and that Big O machine....wow. Wonder what the price tag on that deal is?
Me thinks, North of 10K.

If you aren't capable or don't want to build your own, PC's from companies like Origin PC are on a different level than anything you can buy from the big box OEMs. Of course, they don't compete on price. You pay a substantial markup to have a warranty / support for those things. However, I have plenty of friends who are PC gamers that know nothing about hardware. They would go this route if they didn't have me doing their builds for them. In fact, one friend was a long time customer of Alienware before I convinced him to stop throwing so much money at them for a far less capable system than one I could build for him.

The main reason I convinced him to stop spending the cash, was primarily due to Alienware's quality having declined so much. Cheap, Chinese power supplies, crap motherboards, bad case designs with terrible airflow, etc. His last one was based on the 780i SLI motherboard with a Core 2 Extreme in it. I don't recall which one. I think the processor is in my collection actually. I told him it was a time bomb and I even told him how it would fail. What I said came to pass and he started listening to me after that.

This is a predicable move by Corsair. It's interesting to see they are not swiftly tearing down the IP of Origin PC either. They are still advertising and doing business under the Origin PC moniker.

Become a Patron!
Back