Cyberpunk 2077 Sequel Is Being Developed by CD PROJEKT RED’s Boston Studio So That It Can Be More Authentically American

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Apparently, at some point after the first game launched there were Reddit posts made by folks complaining about German manhole covers. Some of these posts were sincere in their displeasure of the non-US imagery. In contrast, others ran with it and had fun with it by noting how particular manhole covers were of the incorrect rating and possibly the reason so many NPCs often fell through or disappeared from the street.

See full article...

I honestly didn't have a problem with any of it. I kind of sort of noticed it but didn't care. I figured it's the future and rolled with it. I found the overall design to be spot on with everything I've seen here in the southwest from Denver to Albuquerque to Phoenix and Los Angeles. It actually made me a little depressed because of how accurate it was and all of the present/past things relating to homelessness, drug addiction, prostitution, gang, political, and other crimes but that is the point of the game and my hat's off to CDPR for their accurate portrayals. Geographically accurate street objects were nowhere on my radar for things to care about.

None of that stuff bothered me.

Yes, it was supposed to be set in the U.S, but it is a post-apocalyptic U.S. where it is not unrealistic that someone might have gotten a cheap order of stolen/leftover manhole covers from somewhere else, and installed them in a way that was not intended.

Anyway, I'm interested about this Boston studio. I did not know CDPR had a Boston studio.

An acquaintance's wife was doing some contract art work for an - at the time - unannounced CDPR title, but I got the impression she was a remote contractor working for the main CDPR studio in Poland. I never discussed specifics with her though. (And as with all of these things, there is only so much they can share anyway)

I don't even know if she is still involved with that project. It was probably 2 or 3 years ago I last spoke to her.

One of the splinter cell games had Hungarian manhole covers in the mission that took place in Georgia. I thought it was funny, and it took away nothing from the game.

This need or desire that only those people are allowed to depict something who experienced it first hand, is a cancerous outgrowth of political correctness (and people with no imaginations).

My excitement for this game just dropped from 80 to about 40%.

I think CDPR is just scared of upsetting even more folks after the way the 1st one launched. A shame really since I believe/hope they learned their lessons from it and shouldn't be worried about such petty things like this and instead just launch a good solid game.

I think CDPR is just scared of upsetting even more folks after the way the 1st one launched. A shame really since I believe/hope they learned their lessons from it and shouldn't be worried about such petty things like this and instead just launch a good solid game.

Given the time it takes them to make games I'm not sure I'll be still around once the next one launches and they have to make it mostly bug free.

Could have elder scrolls VI and fallout 5 by then and tired of those

Given the time it takes them to make games I'm not sure I'll be still around once the next one launches and they have to make it mostly bug free.
Yeah, kind of feeling the same.

I'm pretty much done with Bethesda though. I've given enough of my money and regret most of it.

What is this fatalism? I expect to be still around at the end of the decade, which is when I'd guess this will get a release. 2028-2029 is the window.

What is this fatalism? I expect to be still around at the end of the decade, which is when I'd guess this will get a release. 2028-2029 is the window.

Took them around 12 years to get CP2077 to where it is now so you think they can make a better working game done from scratch with a new engine in 1/3 of the time? (or half if they have been at it for a couple years in secret already)

I figured it's the future and rolled with it.
Yes, it was supposed to be set in the U.S, but it is a post-apocalyptic U.S.
+ it's sci-fi enough to barrely mattering anyways.
All of this, exactly. They're worried about the authenticity of a futuristic city that doesn't exist in real life?! Give me a f*cking break.

An acquaintance's wife was doing some contract art work for an - at the time - unannounced CDPR title, but I got the impression she was a remote contractor working for the main CDPR studio in Poland. I never discussed specifics with her though. (And as with all of these things, there is only so much they can share anyway)
Oh shiiiiat, that's pretty interesting!

Took them around 12 years to get CP2077 to where it is now so you think they can make a better working game done from scratch with a new engine in 1/3 of the time? (or half if they have been at it for a couple years in secret already)
It's far different ballgame to work with a turnkey game engine instead of having to do everything yourself, because you are developing your own engine.

A big client like CDPR can get epic to do custom work for them too, so even if something is not in it right now it likely only takes a phone call, to get them on it.

I don't think you can count CP2077 as being in full development until after the Witcher 3 was shipped, so 2015. (or 2016 if we count blood and wine). So it took roughly 5 years to get from there to release date. So I don't think 2028 is unreasonable. Unless they want to put out Witcher IV or whatever that is called first , that changes things.

Stop setting your development time expectations on what Cloud Imperium Games does. :)

Become a Patron!
Back