Cybertruck to Enter Mass Production at End of 2023: Report

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Tesla's Cybertruck will finally enter mass production at the end of 2023, according to a Reuters report that cites two people with apparent knowledge of the electric vehicle maker's plans.

See full article...

Well apparently range reduction can be quite significant in ev trucks/ vehicle. I have no knowledge, but I can assume mpg reduction in regular trucks is also quite high?

Well apparently range reduction can be quite significant in ev trucks/ vehicle. I have no knowledge, but I can assume mpg reduction in regular trucks is also quite high?

Aero dynamics plays a huge role in MPG as well as the weight it has to move. Most trucks are heavier than cars and it's like pushing a brick through the atmosphere.

It'll be absolutely terrible while towing. Just like it is with the Lightening, Hummer and Rivian. Probably fine for towing a boat a short distance to a lake or something. Just don't expect to go cross country with even a small u-haul trailer without having to stop and charge every ~100 miles.

Yes but the amount of potential energy in gas as well as the ease and speed of o gaining it makes it less impactfil than Killing the battery every 10p miles. Thst abs trucks normally have a gas tank at least wx the size of lost cars.

If it's not Elon who is stating that date then it might even be true :p

I personally think it is a hideous vehicle that escaped from the set of a 80s low budget sci-fi movie. So whatever.

If it's not Elon who is stating that date then it might even be true :p

I personally think it is a hideous vehicle that escaped from the set of a 80s low budget sci-fi movie. So whatever.
Yep, it might be true if its not elon, otherwise it might be between then and never. I actually like the truck, but do get how divisive it is.
Liked the price, but it looks like that was fantasy. Tesla horror stories have dampened my expectations, and the fact that currently Teslas are still basically / effectively un-serviceable by 3rd parties has me worried. I know many car manufactores are moving in that direction which is a disgrace. Honestly, this should be outlawed imho.

Was kind of intriguing when it was first announced. Not that I wanted one, but it was one of the first electric trucks announced and does have a rather distinctive set of features.

Today though? With Rivian shipping, the Lightning, electric Hummers, an all-electric Chevy next year, etc — a bit late to market really unless Tesla thinks they can solve the biggest problems with electric trucks.

And I don’t know that anyone can with Lithium tech.

It looks like Elon walked in on the modeler just after he blocked off the outlines of the truck and said, “Stop. That’s it.”

It looks like Elon walked in on the modeler just after he blocked off the outlines of the truck and said, “Stop. That’s it.”
Unless they screw things up, and are going the traditional building route, the look is really more a consequence of how its built. Its supposed to me more origami and less stamped steel, plus supposed to be stainless a lot if not all of the body. How true any of this will be, who knows, Elon has taken the early announcement thing way way way too far.

Cybertruck looks like Robocop should be driving it. :cool:

I saw a Rivian truck on the DNT the other day. It kinda looks like a toy, with the rounded corners and funky paint job. But at least it's not as polarizing as the Cybertruck.

And the Lightning basically just looks like an F150... although I think they have become stupidly huge over the years. I had a 2001 F150 and it was like half the size of the current models.

Cybertruck looks like Robocop should be driving it. :cool:

I saw a Rivian truck on the DNT the other day. It kinda looks like a toy, with the rounded corners and funky paint job. But at least it's not as polarizing as the Cybertruck.

And the Lightning basically just looks like an F150... although I think they have become stupidly huge over the years. I had a 2001 F150 and it was like half the size of the current models.
I thought the exact same thing when I first saw the Cybertruck too

I've also had the chance to see a Rivian and a Lightning out in the wild - there are 2-3 Rivian's running around here, but I've only seen 1 Lightning. (Side note: we have a metric crapload of Teslas, they are about to outnumber Toyotas out here. A lot of Mach-E's. A handful of Volts/Bolts. A small number of the german electrics. I've even seen a Canoo (odd duck) and Fisker. Oddly enough, not any Leafs that I could point to)

The Rivian styling reminded me a lot of the Honda Ridgeline, just a bit bigger. I don't really care for it too much, but that's ok, not every car needs to cater to my taste - it's not a radical departure from other vehicles out here either.

The Lightning - yeah, it was an F150. It had very distinctive grill and tail lights, but it didn't break any molds or anything, it was still very much an F150 (which is either good or bad, depending on how you see it). As a driver of a pretty vanilla F150 - I agree with you. They have become too big. I hate the turning radius, and while it rides great, it drives like a bus. It's making me seriously consider a Ranger for my next truck; the size is about right but the price is just out of whack for what you get when you compare it to the specs on it's bigger brother.

I really want a PHEV, and when he bought my wife's car this year, we looked hard for one, but the market was constrained and just couldn't find one when we needed to buy. We ended up with a Bronco Sport, which I have to admit, is a lot more fun to drive than it should be looking at it on paper, but it's a bit small for what I would need on a day-to-day truck. I'm due to replace my truck soon - so may take another look when I get back to car shopping. My company pays for fuel for work use, but they wouldn't reimburse home charging (at least until one of the VPs gets one and decides it's a thing), but we generate electricity for a living, so I could install a charger in at the work sites - easily up to a Level 3 if I could get the charger.

Last edited:
As a driver of a pretty vanilla F150 - I agree with you. They have become too big. I hate the turning radius, and while it rides great, it drives like a bus. It's making me seriously consider a Ranger for my next truck; the size is about right but the price is just out of whack for what you get when you compare it to the specs on it's bigger brother.

I really want a PHEV, and when he bought my wife's car this year, we looked hard for one, but the market was constrained and just couldn't find one when we needed to buy.

Yeah the new Ranger is basically the size of the old F150. There are PHEV and EV versions coming "soon" whenever that will be.

I feel you about PHEV, I want one but you can't seem to find them anymore. And I don't want a Prius or a Leaf.

I've seen a couple of THESE lately, they are funky looking. Almost like a modern aerodynamic El Camino (but a 4 door with a short bed). Don't think they have electric versions though, but the price isn't bad (25k). The bed is kind of tiny but you could throw some camping stuff back there. I like that they are not huge. *EDIT - whoops, STARTING at 25k, going up to 40k. Nope.

EVs look great on paper, but if I can't take it on road trips due to all the competing charging standards and availability... not to mention price. A PHEV Ranger might work out.

I feel you about PHEV, I want one but you can't seem to find them anymore. And I don't want a Prius or a Leaf.
I admit a PHEV is very much a stop-gap solution. You have essentially 2 power trains, which is going to have extra cost and complexity over just going one way or the other.

But man, it would also be nice to get the best of both worlds in one vehicle. No worries about range or long charges, and all that low end DC electric torque and acceleration.

In CA we do have a decent charging infrastructure, but I live in the mountains, and ... that makes things dicey. And half the chargers I see have the cables cut from copper thieves, which means if you do roll up to a charger, good odds on it not even being able to work. Sucks that the folks installing these chargers took all that incentive money to get them installed, but don't actually care enough to maintain them.

Become a Patron!
Back