D-Link Announces New WiFi 6 Routers and Mesh Devices

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
DIR-X5460_A1_Image-LFront-1024x721.png

Image: D-Link

D-Link has announced its new line of Wi-Fi 6 routers and mesh routers in advance of CES and was showing them off at CES Unveiled. We took a look at the DIR-5460 (pictured above) and almost confused it with a large drone. D-Link claims it will support Wi-Fi 6, WPA3 encryption, BSS coloring, integration with Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT as well as support through the D-Link Wi-Fi app. It will debut in Q1 2020 at an MSRP of $279.99.

COVR-1900_A1_Image-LFront-189x300.png

Image: Dlink

D-Link also had their mesh Wi-Fi routers on display which will help you roll out coverage throughout your house without fishing CAT-5/6 cables to where you want the access points to go. While I personally prefer fishing the cables, I can see the value in a plug and play operation. The COVR-1900 is pictured to the right and will be available in Q1 2020 at an MSRP of $119.99. It should carry all of the same features as the DIR-5460 except for WiFi 6.

While the DIR-5460 is at the top of its family's price point, there's a host of additional Wi-Fi 6 routers launching with it ranging from $119.99 to $279.99 as listed below:

• Smart AX1500 Mesh Wi-Fi 6 Router (DIR-X1560-US), Q1 2020, $119.99
  • Smart AX1800 Mesh Wi-Fi 6 Router (DIR-X1870-US), Q2 2020, $139.99
  • Smart AX2400 Mesh Wi-Fi 6 Router (DIR-X2460-US), Q3 2020, $159.99
  • Smart AX5400 Mesh Wi-Fi 6 Router (DIR-X5460-US), Q1 2020, $279.99

Full Press Release

Been a while since I've used a D-Link device.

I'm glad they finally wised up on the WiFi naming convention, should have just been a simple numbering scheme all along.

WiFi 6 is looking to be quite good.

Been a while since I've used a D-Link device.

I'm glad they finally wised up on the WiFi naming convention, should have just been a simple numbering scheme all along.

WiFi 6 is looking to be quite good.

Ironically enough, when I was at the booth, someone asked "what is WiFi 6?" The answer was the successor to WiFi 5.... I'm not sure that helped the question asked much...

I picked up Asus's Wifi 6 router a couple months back and I'm loving it. Getting my max of 500 megs on wireless devices almost anywhere is extremely nice. The back corner of the house, which just happens to be in my room where my bed is, has always been a deadzone. While the signal is still weak compared to the rest of the house I'm still getting 150 megs as opposed to 5 megs with the other routers I've had or 30 megs when using an extender.

Ubiquity needs to get on the ball and release some updated AP's. I wouldn't mind a couple long range 6's to replace my aging AP-AC-LR's.

I'm not in a rush to upgrade my APs, but yeah, having something on current standard would be nice.

I think all of the router vendors need to get on with actively updated firewalls that can do some threat detection and prevention. With multiple users in a home, where not all of them are savvy internet and computer users, having a device that can actively be scanning at the network level for threats and blocking them is desirable.

Become a Patron!
Back