Dead Space Remake Developer Says in Interview That “I Can’t Play It with Headphones at Night – It’s Too F***ing Scary”

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Dead Space Remake developer David Robillard (Technical Director) expressed how the game's atmospheric audio scape is just a bit too much to handle when playing with headphones at night.

See full article...

Maybe I've just been jaded since a kid, but never in my life have I found any game or film or TV show "scary".

The suspense of disbelief to be scared by a fictional creation is just too large, and the end result is that whenever creators try to make something "scary" it just comes across as silly to me.

And that's especially true coming from a 3rd person title. You might be able to live into it more and be more immersed if it were first person, but third person can't possibly be "scary" in any way shape or form.

That said, this sounds like more hype along the line of their old ad campaign for the last one "your mom hates this game"...

Maybe I've just been jaded since a kid, but never in my life have I found any game or film or TV show "scary".
When I was 8 years old, Poltergeist scared the **** out of me, I won't lie. I still watched it though. I couldn't tell you why, it's not a particularly jumpy movie either. But other than that - yeah... nothing.

News stories about surprise astronomically high medical bills forcing people into bankruptcy even though they have insurance are what give me nightmares today.

These games tend to have a ton of jump-scare-gotcha type of stuff where you have to react very quickly or your character dies. That being said, I'm usually tense in the sense of trying to not die and have to restart. I wouldn't say that any game is really going to be scary on a psychological level but in terms of keeping your character alive, yep there is a fear factor.

The suspense of disbelief to be scared by a fictional creation is just too large, and the end result is that whenever creators try to make something "scary" it just comes across as silly to me.
Yeah, that's what I thought too, until I played Alien Isolation. I had to force myself to only play it before noon after a few sleepless nights.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, until I played Alien Isolation. I had to force myself to only play it before noon after a few sleepless nights.
The devs for that actually included a toggle in the cfg file for 3D/VR. I tried it once on my 1440p 3D monitor. That was enough.

Become a Patron!
Back