Destiny 2 AGESA Microcode Fix Pulled for Causing System Instability

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD's microcode fix for restoring Destiny 2 on Ryzen 3000 systems has turned out to be quite the rush job. Motherboard manufacturers have been forced to pull AGESA ComboAM4 1.0.0.3ABA after AMD alerted them of a bug it had failed to catch.

The microcode reportedly downgrades PCIe speed for the BXB-C in motherboards from Gen 4 to Gen 2, causing system instability. AMD is on the case…

Motherboard manufacturers are on a tight schedule to release new firmware for their existing AMD 300-and 400-series products. Bug detection requires thorough testing, precious time which motherboard vendors, unfortunately, don't have at the moment. As Tan has noted, sometimes it's a lose-lose situation. There's a public backlash if a company rolls out a firmware too quickly and overlooks a bug or if it takes too long to release one.

Well this is no good. I don't have my Zen2 in hand yet, but I am eagerly waiting for whatever happens with Destiny 2.

I'm probably going with a Ryzen 3000 soon, but I need Destiny 2 fixed before I can go that route.

I'm probably going with a Ryzen 3000 soon, but I need Destiny 2 fixed before I can go that route.

Will likely be fixed by september, which, by then another CPU that is launching may be of interest to you hehehe

Will likely be fixed by september, which, by then another CPU that is launching may be of interest to you hehehe

Yeah, I'll go Intel before I wait that long.

It would be nice to know what exactly the problem is

It's crazy to me that a game needs an AGESA Microcode fix

Agreed. I've been working on PC's, gaming and building them for over 24 years now. I have never seen a problem with a game which required a BIOS update to resolve it.

It would be nice to know what exactly the problem is

I saw a post on Reddit or something about that. I'm trying to find it again but I haven't had much luck. I don't know if it was just a theory, or someone actually knew but I recall reading that the game makes some odd call to the CPU that it normally shouldn't make. My guess is that execute disable blocks the game from running.

EDIT: Apparently its a DRAND instruction issue. That's why it has to be fixed in AGESA code.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back