Doctors Have Figured Out How to Place Humans in Suspended Animation

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Medics have successfully trialed a technique that could save the lives of patients with extreme trauma. New Scientist is reporting that a team at the University of Maryland School of Medicine has successfully placed at least one patient in suspended animation by filling their bodies with ice-cold saline, lowering their temperature to a point where they're technically dead. This grants surgeons a two-hour window to fix a person's traumatic injuries before bringing them back to life, which is done by warming them up and restarting their heart.

The technique, officially called emergency preservation and resuscitation (EPR), is being carried out on people who arrive at the University of Maryland Medical Centre in Baltimore with an acute trauma – such as a gunshot or stab wound – and have had a cardiac arrest. Their heart will have stopped beating and they will have lost more than half their blood. There are only minutes to operate, with a less than 5 per cent chance that they would normally survive.

I think this idea was floated in the movie Iceman from the 80's. Probably came from theories before that I'm sure.

edit: Either way, cool stuff(pun intended)

I still wouldn’t exactly volunteer for this under less than emergency conditions, but neat that it’s getting closer

Its very interesting... Im sure as the biological process its better understood they can do different chemicals instead of just cold saline that will better the process.
Saline is cheap and abundant, so certainly the right starting point.

Its very interesting... Im sure as the biological process its better understood they can do different chemicals instead of just cold saline that will better the process.
Saline is cheap and abundant, so certainly the right starting point.
I'm aware that for suspended animation, for deep space travel, they've been experimenting with this concept as well as using variations of the toxins from puffer fish.

Become a Patron!
Back