Don’t Hold Your Breath for Micro LED

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
lg-magnit-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: LG

Yesterday, LG unveiled a 163-inch display called the LG MAGNIT. Ginormous size aside, this happens to be the first commercially available panel leveraging Micro LED, the mythical successor to OLED: today’s preeminent display technology. Broadly speaking, Micro LED is supposed to displace OLED because it doesn’t rely on organic materials, which inevitably degrade and result in embarrassing defects like severe image retention or, worse, permanent burn-in.

A lot of AV enthusiasts have skipped out on LG and Sony’s OLEDs for this very reason, proudly proclaiming that they’re going to “wait for Micro LED” despite mass production seemingly being years away. But while LG’s recent MAGNIT announcement has brought a bit of optimism (again, it’s commercially available, apparently), experts such...

Continue reading...

Soon enough I don't think people will be hating on oled nearly as much in fact they'll have to eat their own words when their precious Samsung starts putting out their version of oled next year or so.

To be clear they'll try to excuse it away as their version is better and those problems arent problems for them but to be 100% clear. QD-OLED is just OLED with a quantum dot filter glued on.

Theyll use the same marketing tactic they used to crest a "new TV standard" called QLED (Which is just a regular LCD again with a quantum dot filter added) but fact is led tvs nor QLED a
TV's are anything more than a 25+ year old lcd with some fancy tweaks.

QD-OLED is OLED and the same inherent problems of LG's will be inherent issues of Samsung.

But that's is to say that like mentioned above in the article these issues are very unlikely today and with normal usage won't ever effect the picture whatsoever.

Soon enough I don't think people will be hating on oled nearly as much in fact they'll have to eat their own words when their precious Samsung starts putting out their version of oled next year or so.

To be clear they'll try to excuse it away as their version is better and those problems arent problems for them but to be 100% clear. QD-OLED is just OLED with a quantum dot filter glued on.

Theyll use the same marketing tactic they used to crest a "new TV standard" called QLED (Which is just a regular LCD again with a quantum dot filter added) but fact is led tvs nor QLED a
TV's are anything more than a 25+ year old lcd with some fancy tweaks.

QD-OLED is OLED and the same inherent problems of LG's will be inherent issues of Samsung.

But that's is to say that like mentioned above in the article these issues are very unlikely today and with normal usage won't ever effect the picture whatsoever.
While I agree, Samsung is reportedly using a different type of OLED so they don't have to license the tech from LG. The quantum dot filter also supposedly lets more light pass through than the filter used on the LG models. So I am interested to see how they perform compared to LG. They certainly won't be able to sell them to me at a higher cost than any other OLED, though.

Samsung's "ginormous" sized and priced jumbotron "The Wall" is also MicroLED

While I agree, Samsung is reportedly using a different type of OLED so they don't have to license the tech from LG.

This? https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-oled-quantum-dot-hybrid-could-challenge-lg-for-tv-supremacy/

QD-OLED. I don't believe LG owns all the patents for OLED, so if Samsung spins up their own version that is slightly different enough.... maybe

Samsung's "ginormous" sized and priced jumbotron "The Wall" is also MicroLED

[/URL]

This? https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-oled-quantum-dot-hybrid-could-challenge-lg-for-tv-supremacy/

QD-OLED. I don't believe LG owns all the patents for OLED, so if Samsung spins up their own version that is slightly different enough.... maybe
Yes, that. Samsung is using blue emitters with an RGB quantum dot filter while LG uses white emitters with an RGBW filter. To create the white light they actually layer yellow and blue organics together.

Become a Patron!
Back