EA to Shut Down Online Features for Mirror’s Edge, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3, and More

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
EA has updated its online services page with a number of new titles that will be losing their online features pretty soon.

Go to post

Red Alert 3? Woah that's like 20 years old.

Yeah, I never played it (I played the original Command & Conquers and Red Alert, but the first Red Alert was the last one). That was the last real time strategy game I played.

I had heard of one sequel, but I didn't know there were two, and I had no idea it was still running.

I also vaguely remember Mirrors Edge, but I thoughthat was a local single player game.

I hope they are still playable on community servers or direct network links, because otherwise that is total bullshit though, no matter how old they are.

This is why official servers, and really any online service from the develper/publisher at all is dumb. The most they should provide is a server browser, and leave everything else up to the community. That's the only correct way to do it.

Some things WERE better in the 90's.

Edit:

I'm really confused now. I remember there being two DOS Command & Conquer titles before Red Alert, named Command and Conquer and Command & Conquer 2, but the Wikipedia page for the series does not reflect that.

Is my memory really that bad? I guess it has been close to 30 years, so I'd be forgiven for misremembering things, but...

Maybe I am misremembering the Gold release or the Covert Operations expansion as a sequel in the series.

****, I can't remember.

Last edited:
This is why official servers, and really any online service from the develper/publisher at all is dumb. The most they should provide is a server browser, and leave everything else up to the community. That's the only correct way to do it.

They still have to host a master server for the server browser. Granted it far cheaper to host a master server where all the other servers report to it and the clients get the server list from. They should also release the master server files to the community so they can setup mirrors.

That way when they decide to stop hosting the "Official" servers at least the community can decide if they want to continue hosting their own servers.

Become a Patron!
Back