EU Makes Anti-Speeding Tech Mandatory for New Cars

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Speeding may prove to be more difficult for European drivers in the years ahead.

Go to post

I'm torn on this.

The "law and order" voice inside of me likes actually holding people to obeying the law, but on the flipside I have concerns the implications for privacy, annoyance and the fact that most speed limits are set WAY too low "for the children"...

It really does have a big brother feel to it...

Either you are 100% manual (~optional~ automated driving aids are ok, since they can be enabled or disabled), or you are 100% automated (of which I don't think we are quite ready for, until we have good vehicle-to-vehicle comms and better sensors and controls)

My wife's new car has adaptive cruise control. It also has speed limit detection (camera that reads signs) -- you can ~optionally~ allow the cruise control to automatically adjust to obey as speed limits change, but it isn't required. I'm perfectly ok with that.

I'm waiting for the day the Highway Patrol can just set up posts to query your OBD computer automatically and your car will tattle on you if you are speeding -- just like those **** traffic light cameras that automatically send you tickets if you run a red.

Become a Patron!
Back