EVGA Is Selling GeForce RTX 3090 Ti Graphics Cards for $1,000 Off

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
GeForce users who are still interested in getting the current-generation flagship may want to hit up EVGA.

Go to post

So ... they mark them up $1k+ to sell them to desperate suckers early adopters, then mark them $1k down to clear inventory ... but I bet they're still turning a profit even at the reduced price.

The prices are still well above where they should be. But hey, if a $1k off sounds like a great deal, then that may represent a good value to you, and who am I to tell you otherwise?

So ... they mark them up $1k+ to sell them to desperate suckers early adopters, then mark them $1k down to clear inventory ... but I bet they're still turning a profit even at the reduced price.

The prices are still well above where they should be. But hey, if a $1k off sounds like a great deal, then that may represent a good value to you, and who am I to tell you otherwise?
Intelligent? Caring? Not wanting to see someone get ripped off.

I for one want MANY 3090 and 3080's on shelves when the next 7000 and 4000 series video cards come out. It will keep pressure on them to be more reasonably priced.

But hey, if a $1k off sounds like a great deal, then that may represent a good value to you, and who am I to tell you otherwise?
For a 3090 (or Ti), if you need the 24GB of VRAM for other workloads, this might actually present a good deal.

I posted above as I was rushing out the door, and fear the point I was communicating was poorly made. It's not a bargain if they inflated the price solely because they could, and are now stripping away a portion of that markup. The cynic in me says they are not taking a loss on each unit at the current sale price, which makes the previous markup even more egregious standing out as profiteering.

For context, my daily driver is a 980ti, and almost ANY 30xx card would be an upgrade. But I, however, am reluctant to part with upwards of $1.5k for a graphics card even though I may WANT a top end product. Because of that, I'm happy to see their stratospheric pricing come down closer to more realistic numbers.

On the other hand, the system my graphics card is in is now well past 11 years old (the 980ti was an interim upgrade ... I paid ~$700+ for it back then) and I rationalize that the top end money I spent back then has paid out in sustained value and overall, the system is still viable for common use cases even today (e.g., web surfing, word and excel documents, older games). It's getting cranky and starting to show its age (like me), and I don't know how much longer it'll keep limping forward (again, like me). I could argue that if I paid $1k for a card today (and I'm finally in a position where I can), I would likely try to use it for as many years possible; I don't upgrade to the latest fashion solely to have the latest and greatest unless I need capability not otherwise provided by my current setup.

I know many of you don't believe in future-proofing, but I tend to pay for top end components and then use them for as long as they last or until the technology paradigm shifts so radically that the older components are forced into obsolescence through non-support. I may not need the capability today, but I most likely will in a few years when future generations and required use capability far surpass the current one.

The list prices for a 3090ti since March have been, in my opinion, unreasonably high and now we're seeing just how much profiteering was had. I'm not opining whether today's sales price is of good value to you or anyone else. Maybe it is. Maybe not. If you need the capability because you're limited by what you have, or you're without and need anything that is available and this is the only thing available, then only you can decide for yourself whether the current price is at a viable threshold value point.

That almost puts it at the original MSRP!
I posted above as I was rushing out the door, and fear the point I was communicating was poorly made. It's not a bargain if they inflated the price solely because they could, and are now stripping away a portion of that markup. The cynic in me says they are not taking a loss on each unit at the current sale price, which makes the previous markup even more egregious standing out as profiteering.
I agree with this.

My circumstantial evidence: the 3090 debuted with an MSRP of $1,499, which was already a very high price, given Titan X Pascal was $1,199. (I'm leaving Turing out intentionally; my example, admittedly, gets sloppy if we consider that generation -- but so do a lot of other things)

Then the 3090 Ti comes out with a MSRP of $1,999 (post pandemic pricing)

Now, to put some context to this, the Titan Pascal has a die size of 471 mm2. It only shared a die with the 1080Ti, the 1080 and lesser cards all used a smaller die.

The 3080, 3080Ti. 3090 and 3090Ti all share the GA102 die, which is 628mm2. So the die size did go up, and you can roughly draw a parallel between die size and expense (there are other things, such as VRAM and support circuitry and such, but ... trying to keep it simple). And there's a different process node involved.... So you'd expect some increase from the Titan Pascal -- if we make the large assumption that Titan Pascal was priced "fairly" in the first place.

But...

You've also got the 3080 in on that same die. And those came out with an MSRP down to $699. Now, that may be a salvage die, but you can bet that at that MSRP price, they still weren't taking losses.

Plenty of meat on that $1,999 bone. I'm pretty sure had the pandemic/mining boom/whatever you want to call 2020/2021 not happened, we would have seen the 3090Ti probably release at the same price as the 3090, and the 3090 see a price drop down to around $1,100 or so. But the pandemic did happen. Everyone's MSRPs went up mid-pandemic... because they could. And now we are about to see what happens as a result.

It could be this pending recession / not-a-recession / whatever you want to call this, along with the extended drought in general hardware availabilty and massive shift to other platforms (see recent articles about Mobile sales) have just pushed a lot of people out of caring about PC gaming at all, and the market moves to something else rather than recovers. It could be the bottom falls out and we see a lot of the weaker vendors and manufacturers get culled. It could be prices stay high and demand stays strong. I honestly have no idea what's about to happen.

But it'll be interesting to watch. I hope it doesn't all come crashing down.

If I didn't have the opportunity to step up through EVGA I would not be owning a 3090 Ti, but I did and have zero regrets. I also don't see the need for me to upgrade this card anytime soon even if the 4000 series cards are faster as they claim (we all know they will be, but to what extent?). For years I always went with the middle of the road parts, but as I get older I want the best. I also see this as possibly my last system as I don't game as much and I have other interests that comes with getting older (so I've heard ):LOL:

Last edited:
Decent price drop from EVGA to stimulate the market but yeah, we're still good on our purchased 3090Ti StriXs because occasionally, we do play New World.

We'll keep an eye out on ASUS's response to this, though.

So thinking about this a bit more.

Those people who were preaching patience (I was not exactly one of them, I must admit) -- they were right.

Also, this isn't the first time AMD and nVidia have been through a Boom/Bust cycle. They know how to weather it. Usually, the answer is to delay/constrain the next generation until the inventory levels get back under control. We'll see if they do that again, or to what degree. But they will be ok. They will take a bit of a hit on their stock, but it won't swamp either company.

But this is a disaster for Intel. If they could have got Arc out a year ago, when every single GPU that was made would sell, at very inflated prices... Intel would have been more than ok -- they would have been doing great, even with mediocre hardware and lackluster drivers. But releasing that in a market that's super-saturated and prices dropping like a rock? Intel already had an uphill battle, it just became a sheer vertical climb.

I wouldn't be surprised if this first generation became a nearly-entire paper launch -- just like the A380 has. Keep it extremely limited so as to be all but non-existent - but just enough so that people can't say Intel didn't ship anything. Hunker down and hope the market clears up in 12-18 months when you have the second generation product out... which hopefully sets a lot better tone for what Intel is trying to accomplish. That said, on that earnings report where Intel noted the $500M loss with respect to graphics, they mentioned that loss was due to two factors. One was R&D costs, but the other was trapped inventory. And if that inventory line is big enough, they are sitting on manufactured silicon but can't get it into cards for one reason or another... that's the fat lady warming up her pipes for the final encore.

We'll keep an eye out on ASUS's response to this, though.
So far nada, at least on NewEgg anyway. A couple of things that were dropped from before it doesn't look like anything in relation to this.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=strix+3090+ti

Regardless of their own intentions, I have to give EVGA props for consistently taking the initiative during this whole nightmare. I can't think of any other company that tried as hard to get cards into the hands of gamers or so quickly and aggressively slashed their prices once overstock happened.

So far nada, at least on NewEgg anyway. A couple of things that were dropped from before it doesn't look like anything in relation to this.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=strix+3090+ti

Regardless of their own intentions, I have to give EVGA props for consistently taking the initiative during this whole nightmare. I can't think of any other company that tried as hard to get cards into the hands of gamers or so quickly and aggressively slashed their prices once overstock happened.

It feels like EVGA slashed contracts with warehouses to store cards they had produced. So they are running a thinner storage availability and with increased cost of square footage for anything these days they are weighing the cost of storage to the profit margin of the hardware coming in and being very aggressive with keeping product moving and not sitting and eating cost quickly.

Storing video card pallets when square footage was 10 dollars a square foot was ok... now it's 100+ in a lot of places. So they have to MOVE THAT PRODUCT.

One thing is for sure. I am beyond happy with the 3090 Ti hybrid I got from them for $1599. It came with a full-size RGB keyboard that I'm using with a laptop, Ghostwire Tokyo (put about 10 hours into this weekend), and Doom Eternal w/a season 1 pass. Most of the time I leave it at stock settings (2040-2055 MHz) and it's extremely quiet but even when cranked to max (2130-2175 MHz) its volume levels are still decent. With DLSS quality and most things, including RT at high/ultra it averages 60-118 FPS in 4K and then 45-75 FPS for a select few games (CB2077, RDR2, Ghostwire Tokyo) if I leave everything at max, but dial just a couple of things back and those numbers rise quickly.

Storing video card pallets when square footage was 10 dollars a square foot was ok... now it's 100+ in a lot of places. So they have to MOVE THAT PRODUCT.
The box for that 3090 Ti hybrid was huge! Seriously about the size of a small-sized PC case.

Seen EVGA prices for the US on Greg Salazars video, I was almost tempted to get a 3090 Ti but then I saw EU prices and they are still around 2.000€ so nvm that idea.

One thing is for sure. I am beyond happy with the 3090 Ti hybrid I got from them for $1599. It came with a full-size RGB keyboard that I'm using with a laptop, Ghostwire Tokyo (put about 10 hours into this weekend), and Doom Eternal w/a season 1 pass. Most of the time I leave it at stock settings (2040-2055 MHz) and it's extremely quiet but even when cranked to max (2130-2175 MHz) its volume levels are still decent. With DLSS quality and most things, including RT at high/ultra it averages 60-118 FPS in 4K and then 45-75 FPS for a select few games (CB2077, RDR2, Ghostwire Tokyo) if I leave everything at max, but dial just a couple of things back and those numbers rise quickly.

The box for that 3090 Ti hybrid was huge! Seriously about the size of a small-sized PC case.

As (bad) luck would have it, my 980ti just died ... like, let the smoke out of the wires dead ... just a few minutes ago (but long enough ago for time to swap in a 1050 I had for backup). So I just ordered for myself the hybrid bundle ($1499) with the free keyboard that is currently on sale. AFAIK, I don't need the keyboard, but don't tell my current one 'cause it'll probably roll over on me, too. I wasn't kidding when I said I didn't know how much longer this system would keep limping forward.

As (bad) luck would have it, my 980ti just died ... like, let the smoke out of the wires dead ... just a few minutes ago (but long enough ago for time to swap in a 1050 I had for backup). So I just ordered for myself the hybrid bundle ($1499) with the free keyboard that is currently on sale. AFAIK, I don't need the keyboard, but don't tell my current one 'cause it'll probably roll over on me, too. I wasn't kidding when I said I didn't know how much longer this system would keep limping forward.
Bummer on the 980 Ti. Fantastic cards and the fact it lasted this long is a testament to that. On the flip side, I'll be really surprised if you're not totally impressed with the new card. I have every intention of skipping the 40 series because of it. The keyboard, to me, is a bit on the cheap side but my wife loves it since she gets to use it for surfing/shopping on the internet on the laptop in my office space.

Edit: Just a heads up that these 3090Ti's usually need you to update to the latest NV driver before they fully install. I think it's the first time I've ever seen a GPU that was that picky but I've seen it happen in 2 different rigs now. Windows will install the basic to get the display up and running but I've had to download the latest to finish it. I found it odd since I'm usually not more than a few behind (although lately, I haven't been playing as newer of games that need them so I might've had some older than that). I'm pretty sure that Ghostwire is the newest game I've had to install a driver for in about six months. Before Ghostwire it was probably either one of the Crysis remasters or maybe RE feature updates.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Would be cool if it came with a 27" HRR+VRR OLED.
Hey, I was just happy it wasn't a TKL one. I actually thought it was because the front of the box showed it w/o the numpad and so I chucked it to the side in the cave but when I was working on some stuff in there a week or so ago I looked at the back of the box and it showed a fullsize so I took it out of the box and was happily surprised. For the price I'm happy, a liquid cooled (360 mm rad which is a little on the rarer side for GPUs) top tier card, 2 games and the keyboard isn't the worst deal in the world. I think in moving forward the idea of bundling them with PSUs, as have already done, is the way to go.

I have three of these Z12s laying around. Finicky mushboards that occasionally don't register when the system boots - so you have to replug them in order to log in to the OS (and if you needed to get into the BIOS? ha...).

I have three of these Z12s laying around. Finicky mushboards that occasionally don't register when the system boots - so you have to replug them in order to log in to the OS (and if you needed to get into the BIOS? ha...).
Interesting. I'll count myself as lucky that it hasn't given us any issues, yet. It's plugged into an MSI Leopard GP66.

Become a Patron!
Back