External usb drive on router as NAS.

Grimlakin

Forum Posting Supreme
My question here is, is thst worth while. The cost for an external USB drive over 10 TB isn't terrible. If I want nas like storage and don't want to run a computer 24 7 is thst a worth while substitute?

My question here is, is thst worth while. The cost for an external USB drive over 10 TB isn't terrible. If I want nas like storage and don't want to run a computer 24 7 is thst a worth while substitute?
If you have no other available solution, well, a backup is a backup.

Otherwise, nope!

Three points:
  • A router is a router - when it comes to network equipment, best to let things do what they're designed for and not rely on them for anything else
  • If the router is compromised, whether through external attack, firmware weakness, or misconfiguration, so is the backup drive
  • At the very least, a backup volume should consist of a mirror of two drives
Counter proposal: a Raspberry Pi 4 with two such drives in a mirror. Put the drives in a ZFS mirror for bitrot prevention and share out datasets over SMB and rock on.

USB enclosures usually aren’t built to be left on 24/7. They might do it for a few months, but I’ve seen a lot fail around a year or two.

If it’s that your just going to plug it in once a month for updates then let it set offline - what you want to do will work just fine. But then you may as well just plug it directly into your computers.

If you shuck the drive they seem to do better - dunno if it’s the crap electronics they have inside or the case itself

If it’s long term - just invest in the NAS, you don’t need 18 bays and you certainly won’t regret it. Lazygamer’s Pi idea is a good option too.

The Raspberry Pi 4 suggestion is a great one, and a perfect use for the Pi's...

The Raspberry Pi 4 suggestion is a great one, and a perfect use for the Pi's...
That's something I might look into for ****s and giggles. Right now the family seems happy enough with the one drive integration.

Become a Patron!
Back