Facebook Acquires Spanish Cloud Gaming Startup PlayGiga for $78 Million

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Facebook is doubling down on its cloud gaming ambitions. The social media giant has purchased PlayGiga, a Madrid-based cloud gaming startup, for a cool 70 million euros (about $78 million). As part of Facebook Gaming, PlayGiga will assist with the company's recently launched game streaming platform, which was developed to take on Twitch and Mixer.

“It’s easy to assume that because it’s gaming and because Facebook is so big that perhaps this is a niche,” Vivek Sharma, Facebook’s gaming head of product, said in an interview last month. “But the 700 million people that engage every month — that’s a huge number even at Facebook’s scale. And we know that number is growing rapidly.”

So I got psnow, and been playing a little streaming game (umi komi, something like that) well its playable, but there's lag. I don't know how far my server is though. At least with that server there is no way to play a fast paced game. I don't know if streaming gets more viable with servers closer by.
Starting to think streaming is pointless, local storage is cheap, (except cellphones, if only sd cards was in wide spread use, cellphones wouldn't be and issue either) so you can make a service like download and 100 % connected drm if you want but still download... Psnow has tons of games that are just download, I am sure the second my year is up they won't work of course.
Well I guess storage is one aspect, the other is streaming allows to run a processing hungry game in a **** device, I guess not many ways around that one... Most devices are getting fairly powerful though.

Become a Patron!
Back