Far Cry 6 Video Card Feature Performance Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
fc6_banner1-1024x261.png

Introduction

Far Cry 6 was just released on October 7th, 2021 to the PC and consoles.  This is the official sequel in the franchise to Far Cry 5.  Far Cry 6 was developed by Ubisoft Toronto and published by Ubisoft.  This is an action-adventure first-person shooter game and is the sixth main installment in the franchise.  This one has a different setting than the last, set in the fictional Caribbean Island Yara.

Far Cry 6 runs on the Dunia 2 game engine, which actually dates back to Far Cry 3 in 2012.  Indeed, Far Cry 4 and 5 also used the Dunia 2 game engine, therefore it is aging at this point.  In order to extend the life of it, graphically speaking, there have been a few modern 3D techniques thrown in for Far Cry 6.  Notably, this is DXR Ray Tracing for Reflections and...

Continue reading...

Great tests!

The game performs better than I expected.

I can't quite remeber what FidelityFX CAS is. I'll have to read up on that.

I've been playing. I haven't played any since FC2. So this is an interesting game. It has everything. Fallout 4 parts, GTA parts, and normal Far Cry parts all added in. Runs great too.

I've been playing. I haven't played any since FC2. So this is an interesting game. It has everything. Fallout 4 parts, GTA parts, and normal Far Cry parts all added in. Runs great too.

Open World single player story driven FPS games with minor RPG elements are kind of the mainstay of my gaming diet these days, so I ahve played all of them.

I've liked all of them (well all of them Since the first one, which was kind of a boring linear shooter) but after 6 of them (2,3,4,Primal, 5, New Dawn) the take base formula was really starting to feel a bit stale. I hope they've done something to mix it up a bit.

(I'm probably going to play it anyway though)

I'd be more interested in how the game runs on cards a regular peasant can buy these days, because let's face it, a 3080 is unattainable to most. You are lucky if you can get a 1660 or 1650 at 2x msrp. as an "affordable" solution.

Interesting that FSR actually hurts performance at 1080 on an nVidia card, but helps on an AMD. It's slightly in both cases, but still interesting.

The result we found was that it doesn’t affect performance in a negligible or perceivable way.

I think you mean: The result we found was that the affect on performance was negligible; it was not perceivable.

Sorry I'm a bit late to the game.

Last edited:
Brent, Far Cry 6 dynamically loads in hi res textures, with lower vram cards it will mix high and low res textures. This was observed and shown on YouTube where the 3080 would not load in the hi res textures. I noticed it even on the 3080Ti vs the 6900XT. I haven't played in a couple of weeks so not sure if that was some other bug or actually not sufficient vram. On the 6900XT at 4K native, max settings, vram usage was over 15gb! Textures moving up close were all very detailed. The 3080Ti was not the same way, at times it was almost very low res instead and very noticeable difference. Canned benchmarks can lead astray with conclusions.

I'd be more interested in how the game runs on cards a regular peasant can buy these days, because let's face it, a 3080 is unattainable to most. You are lucky if you can get a 1660 or 1650 at 2x msrp. as an "affordable" solution.
I was thinking the same thing actually.

How's performance on a GT 1030, or what's that new one from AMD that has similar performance, the 6600?
Funny how the AMD 6600 stays in stock at my local MC.

I should have gotten a different hobby. (Sigh)

Become a Patron!
Back