Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Issue Resolved

ThreeDee

Semi-regular
so I have a Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini-ITX motherboard in my 10 year old daughters setup with a Ryzen 3 2200G, 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4, 256GB M.2 and various RGB blingy stuff in her windowed Mini-ITX case.

It was running fine for the most part. My daughter said it locked up a couple times awhile ago but fine otherwise. Fortnite and Strange Brigrade are probably the most "demanding" games that she plays.

I found a deal on a Zotac GTX 1060 mini video card over at [H] so I purchased it to upgrade my daughters setup a bit so we could set everything to "Ultra" in Fortnite and turn up settings in Strange Brigrade as well .. and be able to play some other titles down the road.

I get the "new" 1060 and put it in and immediately start having issues after a few minutes. It would lock up and/or give me a BSOD. I checked out the BSOD error code and it kinda pointed to memory issues .. so I put memory at below specs, and manually set voltage to 1.35 .. etc .. it then seemed to lock up quicker.

I was thinking that maybe this new video card is a dud .. or maybe my 500wtt RGB PSU isn't cutting it with extra load ..

I looked at the event viewer to see what kind of errors I was getting .. and everything in there pointed to the onboard Intel WiFi adapter .. I thought that it was odd to start having issues right when I install a video card ...

Grabbed the latest drivers off of AsRock's site and had to go into safe mode to be able to update the drivers because it would lock up before I could get anything done.

Restarted and commenced to reinstalling Fortnite .. it seemed to go well .. 14% .. then BAM! Cursor stops moving .. grrrrr

I hop on my computer and use my Google-Fu and search for Asrock wifi problems .. and it appears that I'm not the only one to experience this issue .. a bit different configurations, but same end result with system lock ups.

I bring my daughters setup into my mancave/office and disable the onboard wifi and plug into the Intel Ethernet port .. no lock ups .. Fortnite finishes installing and I play a match without issue ..

I go to Intels site and grab their latest WiFi drivers for my adapter and install it ... reboot

Get into windows and unplug the ethernet cable. I fire up Fortnite .. play a match .. no issues .. it's been several hours now and it's still running fine.

Crisis averted .. It's been awhile since I've dealt with system crashes due to incompatible drivers. I've had stuff not work right . but not lock up the system seemingly out of nowhere like this for many many moons now.

Posted in hopes that it can be helpful to someone else having similar issues. I should have grabbed latest drivers from Intel's website to begin with instead of rely on Windows to get them (of which usually does an alright job). Asrock site wasn't much of help either. :poop:

I should have grabbed latest drivers from Intel's website to begin with instead of rely on Windows to get them (of which usually does an alright job). Asrock site wasn't much of help either. :poop:

I have had plenty of bad experiences using both Windows supplied and board manufacturer supplied drivers dating back at least 15-20 years. Going direct to the source for fresh drivers is the way to go for sure!

Become a Patron!
Back