FCC Authorizes Starlink Satellite Internet Service for Moving Vehicles, including Boats, Planes, and Trucks

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Federal Communications Commission has granted SpaceX authorization to provide Starlink for moving vehicles, according to an order released by the agency last week that allows cars, boats, planes, and more to leverage the specialized broadband service, which relies on a constellation of satellites that is theoretically capable of delivering internet access to any location in the world.

Go to post

If it was a little cheaper than $135 a month I'd have it for my RV and boat.

If it was a little cheaper than $135 a month I'd have it for my RV and boat.
I'm kinda wondering when it will rival cell service for anything moving - or bulky handsets. Terrestrial cell service is pretty expensive to do outside of metro areas and away from highways, and I could totally see a Starlink-based cell (etc.) repeater being used in cars. Also wondering how portable they can make it, i.e., for hiking. Goes against the reason most folks go hiking, but at the same time there's plenty of reason to want to be 'connected' away from civilization, even just on foot.

1657029443179.png

Seriosuly though, providing connectivity on trains and planes, better than what we have today was IMHO always the second biggest benefit of starlink, after providing semi decent broadband to neglected rural areas.

Combine that with water cooled solar panels and a heat pump like design... (if you can get it efficient enough) to use that heat energy to produce additional power... win win. Especially in hotter climates.

Become a Patron!
Back