Ford to Sell Some Vehicles with Missing Chips Due to Semiconductor Shortages

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
In the market for a new Ford Explorer that lacks comprehensive rear heating and air conditioning controls?

Go to post

I would hope that they shave some money off the price of these things as a result.

I just bought a new car (for wife, not me, unfortunately). It happened to be a Ford.

Picking was slim. There was no negotiation. If you wanted something that wasn't on the lot - be prepared for months-long custom order process. Cars on the lot were turning around in less than a week. Every car had an obscene dealer markup, and nothing was under sticker.

On the bright side - they took our trade in, sight unseen, at KBB (I certainly could have got more private sale, but I hate the process, so glad to be done with it even if it cost some money). Wife did find something she loved, and it wasn't outrageous. I do know the salesman though and buy our fleet trucks through him, so he got the obscene dealer markup pulled off for me. I wouldn't call it a great deal, but I don't feel like I got bent over dry in broad daylight.

If I were in queue for something with a long backorder, I'd probably agree to taking early delivery with the promise that the chip would get added in at the dealership when it became available - provided the warranty for said non-working items also extended out from the date the chip was installed. If I were just browsing on the lot, unless it was urgent I think I'd just keep browsing unless the discount was significant (and right now, I'm not convinced it would be)

I remember reading something about this in the newspaper a few weeks ago. At the time the plan was under consideration. What a strange time to live in.

Subaru Forester pushing 140K and Dodge Grand Caravan at just over 160K. The is to keep both alive for another 2 years, maybe more for the Subaru.

I bought both of my current cars (2000 Volvo V70 and 2017 Volvo S90 T6) before the pandemic so I avoided this one. That and ever since March 2020, my company moved to a work from home model, so I have been putting next to no miles on them. In many cases I have turned them over and driven them around the block just to keep them in good working order.

Office is starting to let people work a couple of days a week in person, and I may start doing that, but either way, I'll be driving a lot less than I used to. I used to be a 25k-30k mile a year kind of guy. In 2020 I think I drove less than 2k in total between both cars. 2021 was only slightly higher.

I'm looking at these gas prices and can't bring myself to care, as I'm just not buying very much gas :p

My better half is overdue for a replacement for her car, a 2007 Toyota though, but we are waiting it out. If worse comes to worse and it dies, she can just take one of mine.

Become a Patron!
Back