Forspoken PC Specs and Features Revealed, including 32:9 Ultra-Widescreen Support and AMD FSR 2

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Square Enix has released a new trailer for Forspoken that shows off some of the features that players can expect from the PC version of Luminous Productions' new fantasy RPG, which stars actress Ella Balinska (Charlie's Angels, Resident Evil). Among the highlights are support for AMD FidelityFX (e.g., FSR 2), 32:9 ultra-widescreen monitors, and DirectStorage, enabling faster loading times for those with the proper hardware. Forspoken will be released on Tuesday, January 24, 2023.

See full article...

umm, an interesting detail for this game that might be of interest and is in the included slide in the story, the install size is 150 GB.

umm, an interesting detail for this game that might be of interest and is in the included slide in the story, the install size is 150 GB.
Yeah I saw that and I was like UH WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT THAAAAA FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Is it that large on PS5 too, where the SSD size is much smaller? Hope you threw a sizeable M.2 drive in there.

First Direct Storage game -- gonna get a lot of scrutiny and close looks for sure.

The Graphics look nice, does the variable sync support freesync, gsync or both?

I wonder why they specify samsung drives.
Samsung is a lot of things to a lot of industries (and people), but in the *NAND flash realm, they've managed to stay #1 in terms of delivered performance. I tend to be more cavalier with storage purchases for personal use, but if it needs to work, I'm using a Samsung SSD in it.

*(Optane is and could be faster, but doesn't count given the cost disparity, available capacities, and because it isn't NAND flash to begin with)

I found the "dynamic refresh rate under windows 11" to be weird.

From Microsoft:
Note: All your existing games will continue to run and perform like they always have because DRR does not apply to games.

So probably updated boilerplate for specs. From what I can tell, GPU drivers allow you to force VRR globally as well as on a per-game basis.

First Direct Storage game -- gonna get a lot of scrutiny and close looks for sure.
I'll take it just working on supported hardware. Direct Storage is going to take years to roll out properly, not least of which due to SSDs supporting the tech not yet being widely available in mainstream drives. Need to get that base covered first, then developers can consider actually relying on it.

At least the software is ahead of the hardware on this one!

The Graphics look nice, does the variable sync support freesync, gsync or both?
Shouldn't matter. I see some games mention VRR in their settings menus, but generally VRR is independent of the game in question.

Imagine having to download that in 4Gb chunks from GoG. :unsure:
Got to wonder what this is about. Only GoG game I'm playing at the moment is The Witcher 3 (now with RT), is there something peculiar to how GoG does game data distribution?

There's a demo for this game on PS5, but I can't check it out cuz I don't have a PS5. Why no PC demo?

There's a demo for this game on PS5, but I can't check it out cuz I don't have a PS5. Why no PC demo?
No demo means they have no confidence in their game. Because it will probably cause more people to loose interest in the game than gain new buyers.

I also assume the review embargo is set on the day of release, not before.

I wonder if it will have a benchmark
Oh it will be a benchmark. A benchmark for how not to make games.

Yall acting like 150 GB is big.

Everyone wants those 4k textures until it's time to download those 4k textures.

Yall acting like 150 GB is big.

Everyone wants those 4k textures until it's time to download those 4k textures.
I prefer when the 4K/highest-res textures are a separate download. I used to see devs offer them as free DLC on Steam and such.

I'd rather download 150GB than install 150GB from 3 BD Discs.
Not me. I'd rather install from physical, local media. For one thing it's much faster, especially when it comes to today's game sizes. Also the connection between the BD drive and the system is a lot more reliable than an Internet connection going out over hundreds or thousands of miles.

Not me. I'd rather install from physical, local media. For one thing it's much faster, especially when it comes to today's game sizes. Also the connection between the BD drive and the system is a lot more reliable than an Internet connection going out over hundreds or thousands of miles.
Are you on dial up? Reliability is not really an issue with my internet, sure sometimes there are outages but you paint it as if it happens every 20 minutes. More like once every two months.

I think the last game I installed from disc was GTAV, and it was horrible and took multiple hours.
DVD is about 5 times slower than my internet connection best case scenario. BD-DL is about 2x slower, absolute best case. But those are sustained linear transfer rates, we all know than if the drive needs to seek that drops to about 10% of full speed.

When I had 2.5Gbit fiber (scaled back to 1Gbit), I could download at that speed from Steam and Origin at least.

Optical media is slower than that. Much slower; even many spinning rust drives would struggle with those speeds.

Become a Patron!
Back