FSP Hydro PTM PRO 1200W Power Supply Review

Paul_Johnson

Administrator
Staff member
FSP Hydro PTM PRO 1200W

FSP Group is one of the few actual power supply manufacturers and can be found providing OEM services for a number of other brands at various times including OCZ, Zalman, AOpen, Antec, SilverStone, Super Talent, Sigma, and many more. This wide distribution of FSP power supplies by FSP is not surprising given that it has been in business since 1993 and is one of the top 10 producers of power supplies in the world. For this review, we are looking at the new Hydro PTM PRO line and, in particular, the 1200W model (HPT2-1200M) in that line.

PIC20900000000008703_1040x520-1024x512.jpg

PTM? Power to The Max? IDK

The Hydro PTM PRO 1200W is the third power supply we have seen from...

Continue reading...

WTF is "Off Wet" (I did see the thing about humidity in the review ... yeah)

How in their right mind are they marketing this as "Hydro" and not have it liquid cooled... I mean, PSUs don't usually get LC, but with a name like that, and OffWet branding - it either needs to be in a strip club, or have LC hookups.

At least it tested decently I suppose. The pricing wouldn't be out of whack at all if it did have LC hookups, and that would definitely tame the noise issue.

So the "hydro" power supply doesn't use liquid cooling. Err, ok. Good job, marketing people!

I was looking at new power supplies, and it was what was available at the time as we all know hardware is in short supply. It was between this and the Seasonic Gold 1000W. I went with the Seasonic as most reviews including this one didn't seem to be "overjoyed" with the FSP.

Decided to give this one a try, but with it updated to ATX 3.0 standards and PCIE 5.0. Seems to be doing okay so far, with one random restart of the system while entering COD MW 2 the only hiccup.

Decided to give this one a try, but with it updated to ATX 3.0 standards and PCIE 5.0. Seems to be doing okay so far, with one random restart of the system while entering COD MW 2 the only hiccup.
Just a heads up, more of a 4090 issue than anything else - if you're getting crashes etc. when the GPU is unloaded, like loading up a game or a YouTube video, there is a known VBIOS issue (that plays off of motherboard BIOS issues) that can cause this due to the GPU running too low of a voltage.

It's typically far more problematic with many systems having trouble getting to the desktop, so you're probably clear, just wanted to mention it in case.

It's typically far more problematic with many systems having trouble getting to the desktop, so you're probably clear, just wanted to mention it in case.
I appreciate the information. Just happened the one time, and that was after the new driver install as well, so maybe it was a combination of things.

Just wanted to give an update on this power supply 11 months later. I was playing a game today and the PC just shut off and wouldn't turn back on at all. My first thought was the power supply, so luckily I had a spare EVGA 1200 unit in storage with the cablemod adapter for my 4090 and sure enough all is fine with the EVGA unit. I guess I will try an RMA with FSP, but this is the first power supply in over twenty five years I have had fail on me.

Do yourself a favor and get one of those PSU jumpers that turn the PSU on when plugged in to the ATX 24-pin cable. Eliminate every variable to be sure.

Do yourself a favor and get one of those PSU jumpers that turn the PSU on when plugged in to the ATX 24-pin cable. Eliminate every variable to be sure.
I already pulled the power supply and replaced it with my EVGA unit. Edit: I did the paperclip test and "It's dead Jim"

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back