G.SKILL Announces DDR5-8000 CL38 48 GB (24 GB x2) Memory Kit

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
G.SKILL has expanded its lineup of memory products with a new DDR5 memory kit that features a specification of DDR5-8000 CL38-48-48 at 48 GB (24 GB x2). Branded under the flagship Trident Z5 RGB series and featuring support for Intel XMP 3.0, the new memory kits will begin rolling out to G.SKILL's worldwide distribution partners in April 2023, according to a press release that the world's leading brand of performance overclock memory and PC components shared today.

See full article...

So, the first time we'd really seen '24GB' DIMMs was Linus' video with Micron - whose memory can barely exceed JEDEC speeds. DIMMs using Micron DDR5 ICs so far have topped out at around 5600MT/s.

These speeds look much more like Hynix A-die, and I'd be interested to see if they are or aren't Hynix A-die!

Not that I'd understand it, but wasn't high cl numbers a big enemy of performance? So higher speed with higher cl equals better performance, as in its a ratio thing or something?

Not that I'd understand it, but wasn't high cl numbers a big enemy of performance? So higher speed with higher cl equals better performance, as in its a ratio thing or something?
Yes and - also no.

CL, or CAS latency, is just the primary component of your 'first word' latency. All of the other timings matter quite a bit too, including ones beyond the three or four that are listed in memory nomenclature.

Ideally you'd want high frequencies and low latency together, as increases in clock frequency reduce latency too. And with DDR5, each module is divided into two 32-bit channels, which also helps to reduce latency.

What we're seeing now is DDR5 more or less doubling the max bandwidth of DDR5 while holding the line on latency. DDR4 can still be pushed to lower latency in its best case scenarios, but again, you still give up bandwidth. Finally, memory latency itself is mitigated somewhat by increasing cache capacities, which we see taken to the extreme with AMDs X3D CPUs.

Become a Patron!
Back