G.SKILL Announces Zeta R5 Series Overclocked DDR5 R-DIMM Memory Kits, Showcases DDR5-6800 Octo-Channel Bandwidth Performance

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
G.SKILL has announced Zeta R5, a new series of high-performance, overclocked DDR5 R-DIMM memory kits. Designed for use with the latest unlocked Intel Xeon W-2400X and W-3400X series processors on respective Intel W790 chipset-based motherboards that have quad-channel and octo-channel memory support, the new kits are available in specifications of up to DDR5-6400 CL32 and in larger capacities of up to 256 GB (32 GB x8), featuring support for the latest XMP 3.0 memory profiles for easy memory overclocking. G.SKILL has confirmed that the Zeta R5 series will be available from March 2023, while a set of screenshots can confirm some of the overclocking potential that users can expect with some of these memories.

See full article...

When they say R-DIMM, are they talking Registered ECC RAM?

If so, that is pretty awesome. I've always wanted to put ECC in my desktop, but never done so because the available ECC RAM is usually really slow and has awful timings. It would be nice to get the best of both worlds!

Yup, and they don't have stupid RGB lighting on them either!

I too found it a bit strange that there was no mention of ECC in the press release, even if its inclusion might be a reasonable assumption. And I'm not sure that it is a reasonable assumption, considering the brand. But an editor from AnandTech confirmed the ECC support with G.Skill, according to a reply in the following article's comment section: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1875...-to-ddr56800-for-intel-xeon-w3400x-and-w2400x

I've also seen announcements for overclocked ECC RDIMM kits from other brands, and in those cases the support has been clear. I'm not in the market for any of these kits myself, but overclocking registered DIMMs seemed strange (or unusual, at least) enough to me that I took notice.

Here's a link to the specifications of all eight unlocked Xeon W-2400 and W-3400 processors from Intel ARK: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...415,233421,233418,233416,233417,233419,233483

Cool... But like Threadripper Pro, there's no way I could justify spending the amount of money it'd cost to build a system with one of these new Xeons, and for most tasks I'd probably be better served by a mainstream platform such as AM5 anyway. It'd be a nice touch if the Xeons came with a "f*ck Lenovo" case badge. ;)

Unfortunately, the launch Sapphire Rapids will do nothing to help the market for unbuffered ECC DIMMs, which was not in a healthy state when I last checked. Intel and AMD need to add official support for ECC to their mainstream platforms, and they also need to make more PCIe lanes available from the CPU, because the PC has become little more than an overpriced gaming console. There may be enough total bandwidth available now that we've moved to PCIe 5.0, but the way it's allocated doesn't provide flexible expansion options. An additional eight, or even four lanes could go a long way and doesn't seem like an unreasonable demand.

Become a Patron!
Back