Galactic Civilizations IV Gets April 26 Release Date

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Stardock’s Galactic Civilizations IV is the latest entry in the decades-old 4X strategy franchise. Players explore space in the 24th century, research new technologies, meet new civilizations, form alliances, colonize planets, and strategize for dominion over the galaxy.

Go to post

I really liked the first two, but I think I've kinda grown out of the 4X genre, I can't seem to get into any of them any more. Even Civ has kinda lost it's edge for me.

*edit* -- this may date me, but if I recall correctly the first one was originally released for OS/2 and that's where I had played it at.

I'm surprised I'm not familiar with this series. It would have been right up a younger me's alley.

Maybe I'll give it a try when it launches.

And with that, I just had a flashback to a game I played in the 90's that I had completely expunged from my memories.

As soon as I found the Youtube video the music from the game was instantly recognizable.

EDIT:

And then shortly after I remembered another space game from the 90's that was really good I had completely forgotten about, called "Reunion".

Those were probably the last space 4x games I played. I'd say I ahve lots of fond memories of them, but apparently not, because I had completely purged them from memory, still reviewing the videos I am remembering how fun they were, particularly Reunion. Bloody long intro sequence through.

The only downside to Reunion was that it was a static single playthrough story, so there wasn't much in the way of replayability. I remember wishing a version of Reunion would come out with randomly generated space maps like Civilization.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I've never truly played these but have tinkered with them over the years. I think it's great they exist but they are a bit more involved than I'd get into since I'm mostly an RPG/FPS type.

Makes me think of masters of Orion.
Gal civ 1 and 2 are very similar to masters of Orion, but no tactical combat. I may have bought 3 but if I did, I didn’t play it enough to recall any specific mechanics.

I generally love 4x games, and have lots of time in the newest masters of Orion. Always wish the tactical combat was more complex though. Would really love a game that dropped you into homeworld type quality for tactical combat.

Become a Patron!
Back