Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova Utilizes AlienGPT So That Players Can Generate Their Own Civilizations, Quests, and More

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Stardock has just released the latest edition of its award-winning strategy game series and has included a new feature to assist players in creating their own civilizations. Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova is now available for early access and includes a new feature called AlienGPT that is based on OpenAI's ChatGPT. The developer has added the tool in the newest game as a means for players to generate their own content instead of having to buy DLC content. Players need only to provide the GPT a description of their civilization and press a button. The AI will generate aliens, and quests, and even communicate with the player in their chosen language.

Players will be able to customize the civilizations created by the AI and even play against them. Other civilizations will interact accordingly and players can also share their creations with others online. Stardock has said that its large art library, which spans 30 years, is being used to train AI image generators. It has also clarified that even though this AI solution is being used to generate new content it does not mean that the developer is backing away from needing humans to create more content as well as provide QA for its own internally generated content.

"The stuff the AI generates is really good and getting better all the time, only a human being knows our game well enough to know whether the output fits in with what we’re trying to do."

See full article...

Huh knowing what running local conversational AI requires. This is generating art assets and behavioral simple paths. I wonder what it will require in CPU and RAM.

Huh knowing what running local conversational AI requires. This is generating art assets and behavioral simple paths. I wonder what it will require in CPU and RAM.
I wonder if it isn't phoning home to a cloud system to do some of the heavy lifting. I didn't read anything to that effect but it seems like it may need some sort of online connectivity for full functionality.

Yeah that is definitely running in the cloud to generate the civilization. Once it's done your game client downloads the information like DLC.

Yeah that is definitely running in the cloud to generate the civilization. Once it's done your game client downloads the information like DLC.
Ehhhh... All of that compute use in the cloud would be expensive. Unless they are selling it, it makes more sense to let it run.

Ehhhh... All of that compute use in the cloud would be expensive. Unless they are selling it, it makes more sense to let it run.

When I say cloud it doesn't necessarily mean it's in a cloud service such as GCP, AWS or Azure. It's probably a cluster they own which would be costly, but cheaper in the long run.

However, if it is in the cloud, then it could very well be scalable. IE: They don't pay for maximum hardware at all times. Just pay for what the service is using at that moment and if demand for resources increases, then more hardware is added sort of thing.

Either way, that's entirely too much processing to be ran locally. If you read the article you'll see where they trained the AI specifically for their game art.

Become a Patron!
Back