Getting a board while the getting's good (MIcro Center actually had some X570 stock today).

GP40X

n00b
With the motherboard situation, I had just thought about waiting for B550 and hoping some stock showed up next month but Micro Center got some boards in stock today and I picked up a Gigabyte Aorus Pro WIFI X570 board. Not quite what I wanted, no post code LED display and it has WIFI, but it has the 4 boot LEDS and can run dual cards @ 8X and has enough features that I can make it work and should be happy with it. I mainly wanted a board that could do dual 8X video cards to run two cards in the system (not running SLI, using the second card to boost the CUDA core count for rendering). I also went with a Ryzen 7 3700X and will sell it if Zen 3 is that big of a performance jump over Zen 2. Since this box will be more than a gaming `puter, I also picked up 32 GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series CL16 memory. Will be moving the rest of my signature over to the new system. Picked up a cheap Zalman Z9 case from Fry's to move it to. I consider anything under $100.00 cheap and I wanted an optical drive bay as I watch rented movies on this thing and most of my software is still on disc. It seems well built and not to bad for a budget case. Will be handing down my old case, motherboard, processor, and memory to my son in law as his system is really long in the tooth.

Oh, and the motherboards at Micro Center Houston? They had over 30 boards total of 7 different models this morning and all they have left now is 1 MSI MEG Godlike X570. Not gone on 60 seconds but gone in under 5 hours.

Reactions: _k_
Good information. My local one restocked and boards last a couple days.

I'm not sure what the stock situation is at my local Microcenter. With the lines out the door, I won't go in there. I don't have that kind of patience.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the stock situation is at my local Micro Center. With the lines out the door, I won't go in there. I don't have that kind of patience.
Yep Houston is like Dallas. Extended stay at home orderss and mask orders. I drove over to Micro Center after placing my order for pick up online and since I am disabled and did not bring my wheelchair, the wife went in and paid for it. Took her about 15 minutes. Their parking lot was dead full but the Houston Micro Center is about twice as big as the Richardson Micro Center so I only saw one person wait for about a minute uyntil someone came out since the are running at 50% capacity now

Weird I had no issue at my local Micro Center. I have 3 within minutes or an hour depending on where you go. They all had a decent stock. I ended up going to the one an hour away to get my board open box at 365 before taxes.

Weird I had no issue at my local Micro Center. I have 3 within minutes or an hour depending on where you go. They all had a decent stock. I ended up going to the one an hour away to get my board open box at 365 before taxes.
(NG)Fidel, not sure where you live but there are only two Micro Centers in Texas, one in Richardson TX, a suburb north of Dallas right where LBJ Freeway (Loop 645) crosses North Central Expressway (TX Hwy 75), and the other is in the Bellare area of Houston west of Rice University at the corner of South Rice Ave and Southwest Freway (Tx 59/I 69). These stores are about 300 miles apart. There are also 3 Fry's in Houston but all 4 of these stores were pretty much cleaned out of X570 motherboards in March and April when the state shut down. A lot of people used their stimulus to build/upgrade their computers too and I am sure some Pirates bought some to throw on Ebay so the well ran dry quick. Last time I checked (about 5 minutes ago), Fry's is still out of X570 boards nationally and the local Houston Micro Center only gets in a few boards in once or twice a week and if you aren't fast they are all gone by noon.

Last Sunday, Micro Center actually got 30+ boards in stock. 7 different different models. I picked up a Gigabyte Aorus Pro wifi X570 board (one of 3 they had in stock). They were also showing 10+ Asus X570 TUF Gaming Wifi boards, 7 Gigabyte Aorus Elite wifi X570 boards, exactly 10 Asus X570-P Primes, 1 Asus Crosshair VIII Herro Wifi, & one MSI MEG Godlike and I forget the other board they had because it was gone after the first web page refresh I did Sunday morning and I forgot to write it down (I think it was an an ASRock ITX board). I bought my board online and reserved it for local pickup then drove from the Galveston area to go get it. By the time my wife and I got home from Micro Center and I checked stock again, every one of them were gone except for the MSI( MEG Godlike.

There are also 3 Fry's in Houston but all 4 of these stores were pretty much cleaned out of X570 motherboards in March and April when the state shut down.

The Fry's around here have been cleaned out of X570 boards since they launched. Actually, one closed and the other has been cleaned out of about all computer parts for the past year or two. The place is a ghost town and from what I've read, all of the other Fry's are too.

(NG)Fidel, not sure where you live but there are only two Micro Centers in Texas, one in Richardson TX, a suburb north of Dallas right where LBJ Freeway (Loop 645) crosses North Central Expressway (TX Hwy 75), and the other is in the Bellare area of Houston west of Rice University at the corner of South Rice Ave and Southwest Freway (Tx 59/I 69). These stores are about 300 miles apart. There are also 3 Fry's in Houston but all 4 of these stores were pretty much cleaned out of X570 motherboards in March and April when the state shut down. A lot of people used their stimulus to build/upgrade their computers too and I am sure some Pirates bought some to throw on Ebay so the well ran dry quick. Last time I checked (about 5 minutes ago), Fry's is still out of X570 boards nationally and the local Houston Micro Center only gets in a few boards in once or twice a week and if you aren't fast they are all gone by noon.

Last Sunday, Micro Center actually got 30+ boards in stock. 7 different different models. I picked up a Gigabyte Aorus Pro wifi X570 board (one of 3 they had in stock). They were also showing 10+ Asus X570 TUF Gaming Wifi boards, 7 Gigabyte Aorus Elite wifi X570 boards, exactly 10 Asus X570-P Primes, 1 Asus Crosshair VIII Herro Wifi, & one MSI MEG Godlike and I forget the other board they had because it was gone after the first web page refresh I did Sunday morning and I forgot to write it down (I think it was an an ASRock ITX board). I bought my board online and reserved it for local pickup then drove from the Galveston area to go get it. By the time my wife and I got home from Micro Center and I checked stock again, every one of them were gone except for the MSI( MEG Godlike.
Gotcha, I am not trying to cast doubt on your situation at all. I understand the scarcity of hardware at times. Just my experience is oddly positive this time around is all.

The Fry's around here have been cleaned out of X570 boards since they launched. Actually, one closed and the other has been cleaned out of about all computer parts for the past year or two. The place is a ghost town and from what I've read, all of the other Fry's are too.
Yeah, about all the Webster (south Houston/NASA area) Fry's has are computer cases. I used to go to Fry's for all my computer parts then I found Micro Center and ther motherboard/CPU bundles 😍
Gotcha, I am not trying to cast doubt on your situation at all. I understand the scarcity of hardware at times. Just my experience is oddly positive this time around is all.
Wasn't trying to ditz you, just telling you the sad state of affairs we are dealing with and thinking "****, you're lucky. 3 Micro Centers within an hour's drive and motherboards in stock?" :eek:

Yeah, about all the Webster (south Houston/NASA area) Fry's has are computer cases. I used to go to Fry's for all my computer parts then I found Micro Center and ther motherboard/CPU bundles 😍

Wasn't trying to ditz you, just telling you the sad state of affairs we are dealing with and thinking "****, you're lucky. 3 Micro Centers within an hour's drive and motherboards in stock?" :eek:
Ive got one about 15 minutes away but all the **** vultures go to that one. Its the one I often end up as well. The other two are an hour away for one and an hour 30 for the other. This is one way mind you but still. Its better than having none!

Become a Patron!
Back