Getting server errors on threads in the main forum area.

Grimlakin

FPS Enthusiast
Just giving a heads up in the news discussion area getting server errors on many of the threads have not tested all but so far none are working.

I've been getting them off and on for the past week and a half or so. I figured I was just being ninja banned =)

Can you guys grab a screenshot of the error next time around? I'll dive into the logs too. Is it when reading, replying, both, or... Other?

The front page server has been wobbling lately, but that appears to be related to NGINX fpm cache being placed in the ram disk by yours truly. A weekly reboot has been solving that, but should probably look at moving to disk based.

Can you guys grab a screenshot of the error next time around? I'll dive into the logs too. Is it when reading, replying, both, or... Other?

The front page server has been wobbling lately, but that appears to be related to NGINX fpm cache being placed in the ram disk by yours truly. A weekly reboot has been solving that, but should probably look at moving to disk based.
Will do. Seems like it pops up when I click a particular thread to ready from the forum - like it can't load the thread to view it. Sometimes it's just a particular thread, other times it's most of the forums.

Can't recall the specific error but will capture data next time it pops up. I just figured it was someone tinkering on the backend.

I'm having some problems getting to the main page for a couple days now, mostly on edge, chroome seems to work better even though they are similar these days iirc.

error I get is "Error establishing a database connection"

The forums seem fine

Error establishing database connection is when the ramdisk folder is full of cache. The reboot seems to fix it for a couple days - though - if the page you're trying to retrieve IS cached, then it should load just fine.

Going to try to move the page cache to disk right now (of course, that may fill the disk... ugh...)

Problem with cache drives is to not burn the SSD drive up you need a raid array and if you're doing that a small raid of fast spinning disks is probably better longevity wise.

Otherwise you're liable to hit your write lifecycle pretty quick comparatively.

that or just use a set of large enterprise grade SSD's in Raid 5... still you're talking a huge chunk of change. (Looked at getting some 6 TB drives at work a while back and with support it was going to cost us 14k per drive.)

Problem with cache drives is to not burn the SSD drive up you need a raid array and if you're doing that a small raid of fast spinning disks is probably better longevity wise.

Otherwise you're liable to hit your write lifecycle pretty quick comparatively.

that or just use a set of large enterprise grade SSD's in Raid 5... still you're talking a huge chunk of change. (Looked at getting some 6 TB drives at work a while back and with support it was going to cost us 14k per drive.)

Even better, I'm using AWS's SSD!

The main site is again very slow for me taking around 30 sec to load and also giving errors when trying to get to articles

The main site is again very slow for me taking around 30 sec to load and also giving errors when trying to get to articles
What errors specifically? Remember a code?

It almost seems like we were getting by a DDOS of some sort around the time you posted (times below are UTC). Multiple gigs of inbound traffic which is certainly not the norm.....

1633272284511.png

The inbound hammering seems to be continuing - I rearranged some network security groups which hopefully did not mess things up (specifically, cutting off the availability of 80/443 if you hit the IP address of the server and forcing all traffic through the load balancer which has a WAF on it...)

BTW I can't seem to access the current version of the site anymore, last update I can see is the Scarlet Johansson one, I can see there is news in the forums but all those lead to dead pages.

BTW I can't seem to access the current version of the site anymore, last update I can see is the Scarlet Johansson one, I can see there is news in the forums but all those lead to dead pages.
Just checked and I can just fine. Hate to ask but when is the last time you cleared your browser cache?

Just checked and I can just fine. Hate to ask but when is the last time you cleared your browser cache?

For the hell of it I tried on 3 different browsers, the all load the main page that they last saw which on google chrome is 24/09 somewhere in April on Opera (and the layout wont even load on that one) and the Scarlet one on edge.
Can you try https://www.thefpsreview.com/?nowprocket

That will bypass the NGINX server cache and wp-rocket optimizations. You can add ?nowprocket to the end of any page - if it's still bonking, I'm out of ideas at that point....
That just gives an error like the one I linked to above

Are you running an add blocker or something? I've tested on multiple devices and no problem. The fact you used other browsers points me to a 3rd party app. Maybe a VPN service that's caching for you? Just shooting in the dark here man.

Become a Patron!
Back