GPU Prices Could Be Going Up in 2020 Due to Increasing Demands for GDDR6 Memory

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
According to a new report from TrendForce/DRAMeXchange, graphics DRAM prices are set to rise in 2020 due to strong demand for GDDR6 RAM.

NVIDIA and AMD have already switched to this type of memory for their newest GPUs, but the supply could be further constrained by the onset of Sony and Microsoft's next-gen consoles.

TrendForce believes that these consoles could utilize as much as 16 GB of GDDR6 RAM, which is "twice that of current mainstream graphics cards."

The increased demand could lead to a supply issue and "sharp upturn" of prices.

Because suppliers will not be able to make quick enough adjustments in their product mixes to immediately meet the rising demand, TrendForce forecasts a sharp rebound in the contract prices of Graphics DRAM in 2020, which will register perhaps the largest increase among products for different memory applications.

jeez. Just what NV needed. Another excuse for a price hike.

edit: If the costs go up too much I'll wonder if AMD will go back to HBM2. At least they have something already invested in it. NV's back is against the wall.

Reactions: _k_
jeez. Just what NV needed. Another excuse for a price hike.

edit: If the costs go up too much I'll wonder if AMD will go back to HBM2. At least they have something already invested in it. NV's back is against the wall.

I doubt it, HBM is a lot more expensive then DDR iirc and supply has been real bad. I wonder what intel will use though.

I doubt it, HBM is a lot more expensive then DDR iirc and supply has been real bad. I wonder what intel will use though.
Would normally agree with you but all it takes is a fly sneezing, a flood, a power outage, someone flipping a switch at the wrong time, and suddenly DDR6 is more expensive than HBM2. Plus like I said, at least AMD already has something invested in it. NV will be starting from scratch. Although AMD has switched to DDR6 recently so lets hope they didn't burn those bridges to the ground. Reasons to hike memory chip prices are abound these days.

Become a Patron!
Back