GPU Temperature Monitoring Is Coming to Windows 10’s Task Manager

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Plenty of third-party options already exist for doing so, but Microsoft is making it even easier for enthusiasts to check their GPU's temperature with an improved version of Task Manager. The feature is live on the latest Insider Preview Build (18963), which provides a taste of what's coming to Windows 10's next major feature update (20H1).

Other additions include the ability to rename virtual desktops, server-side improvements to Microsoft Search, quicker account picture updates, and more control over optional features. Mouse cursor speed has also been added to the modern settings menu, while Notepad has been shifted to the Windows Store for speedier updates.

Unfortunately, Task Manager doesn’t seem to support your CPU temperature yet, but it’s likely that will be added down the road. You’ll need a graphics driver that supports version 2.4 (or higher) of WDDM. Unfortunately, temperatures are provided only in Celsius for now.

That is great news and would be willing to try it out when it arrives.

It's stupid that M$ doesn't incorporate many features of monitoring applications. Give us a **** fan controller, temp monitoring, hell even RGB controller. These are things that would be easy, but greatly appreciated.

There's simply no reason in 2019 that I should have to download multiple applications to monitor my system health. This should all be built in to the OS.

Speaking of GPU's and the Windows 10 task manager, I have noticed that in the last few years the task manager has shown us how much GPU a process is utilizing, not just how much CPU it is utilizing.

Is there a way to set priority there, just like with CPU cycles?

I often have rivatuner stats and my Aquasuite temp monitoring software running on side monitores when I run a game. Granted they use a tiny amount of the GPU, but it would be nice to set them to have a very low priority, so that they only update when the GPU has spare cycles...

Last edited:
I think it's a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, task manager, is a rough general gauge of things for me. I do check it but AB and HWinfo still tend to be more accurate for most things but I'm glad they're trying.

I can only hope it's as accurate as all the other Microsoft monitors, like Windows Experience Index, or the Resource Monitor that thinks my CPU is always 800 Mhz, or the CPU usage graphs that say 100% in the text box, but show up around 20% on the graph.

For just general purpose info, I still like Sidebar Diagnostics.
Rainmeter isn't bad either.

As stated .. a step in the right direction. Keep "walking" that way Microsoft!

I see that Task Manager has the gpu on the bottom now (no, I didn't see it before, I always have TM open in a small box), they have Urilization and memory usage, but the driver version, DX version, physical location (PCIE slot?) and hardware reserved memory (not sure what that is) are blank. so not sure M$ is really clued in on the whole monitoring thing.

I see that Task Manager has the gpu on the bottom now (no, I didn't see it before, I always have TM open in a small box), they have Urilization and memory usage, but the driver version, DX version, physical location (PCIE slot?) and hardware reserved memory (not sure what that is) are blank. so not sure M$ is really clued in on the whole monitoring thing.

I think the issues related to drivers, OS, and BIOS combinations. Over the years, with 10, I've seen it correctly identify system RAM speeds, in laptops and desktops, but then only to lose it when some kind of an update happens and then, seemingly at random, repopulate months later. I started to see the GPU metrics pop up about a year ago but haven't done much testing to verify accuracy but I'm sure it will relate to how new cards offer new features and how Windows is able to 'see' them.

Considering the issues with their(MS) QA departments they're probably spread pretty thin trying to reach out to all the manufacturers to get info on where each is storing various metric & sensor info. Wouldn't be surprised if some flat out refuse to give that info for whatever reason. An example of this dynamic is how many months it took Afterburner to provide controls for the newer fan designs this year and even then they stated there were certain ones they just wouldn't pursue.

I use Argus Monitor to watch my temps and change fan settings, he's pretty good about updating for new chipsets, and Asus GPUTweak for the actual gpu (plus it let's me change the overclock on the fly if need be).

Become a Patron!
Back