Guerrilla Details Visual Improvements in Aloy Model for Horizon Forbidden West

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
horizon-forbidden-west-face-details-cropped-1024x576.jpg
Image: Guerrilla Games

Guerrilla Games had already done a fantastic job with its character models in Horizon Zero Dawn, but the developer is set to blow its previous work out of the water with its upcoming sequel for PS4 and PS5 consoles, Horizon Forbidden West. Community lead Bo de Vries shared a lengthy post regarding how series protagonist Aloy has evolved since the original game on the official PlayStation blog today, and it includes a few images showing off her new and improved model made possible by next-gen hardware. Aloy appears to be more life-like than ever.

From Guerrilla’s Bo de Vries:

Each generation of consoles brings extra power that lets us add even denser polygons to our character models, so we can create finer details such as peach fuzz, smooth contouring, or finer texture details and accurate materials expression, to name a few. And...

Continue reading...

So, this new Aloy reconstruction is deliberately designed to make her look even uglier and fat, huh?!

GG gotta finish checking off that cancel culture demanded checklist, eh?! (Not too pretty, check, not too sexy, check, look butchy, check-ckeck).

So she runs around outdoors ALL THE TIME. Fighting mechanical monsters day in day out. And ISN'T ripped like a amazon warrior, and bronzed like a brazilin bikini model?

well .. to be fair .. Emma Cary is a Crossfit™ Beast .. and she isn't ripped like a lot of the others .. nor is she "Bronzed-out".

well .. to be fair .. Emma Cary is a Crossfit™ Beast .. and she isn't ripped like a lot of the others .. nor is she "Bronzed-out".
I don't know who is that and how is she relevant but looking her up compared to an average girl she is at least twice the size. And crossfitters usually train indoors, just because the games are outdoors events they spend 99% of their time in some air conditioned gym, so why would they be bronzed?

I'm just saying if they want realistic they shouldn't put an average body on a person male or female that can run neigh non stop for hours on end, sprint for 30 minutes at a time, and practice archery WHILE doing all of the above and being acutely aware of their surroundings.

Lets say the intent here is to give women and girls an idol they can live up to.

By the time they train and get to that point physically (lets say they do) they will not look ANYTHING like the hero here.

Make the hero a bit more realistic. Let them pick up scars of battle, let them get tanned and such or slather on special chem sets to make them harder to detect and protect them from the sun. Otherwise they should look more like native American hunters and less like Irish castle maidens.

I don't know who is that and how is she relevant but looking her up compared to an average girl she is at least twice the size. And crossfitters usually train indoors, just because the games are outdoors events they spend 99% of their time in some air conditioned gym, so why would they be bronzed?
If you don't know why a female crossfit person is relevant in comparison .. then I can't help you there.. and the crossfitters I've watched train online and in person .. they might have fans going, but I have yet to see an air conditioner .. and quite a few of them do a lot of outdoor swimming/running/workouts ..etc

You are obviously not into the sport .. and that's ok

If you don't know why a female crossfit person is relevant in comparison .. then I can't help you there.. and the crossfitters I've watched train online and in person .. they might have fans going, but I have yet to see an air conditioner .. and quite a few of them do a lot of outdoor swimming/running/workouts ..etc

You are obviously not into the sport .. and that's ok
I asked why her specifically is relevant. Not why crossfit is relevant (even though I could have questioned it, but I chose not to)
There are plenty of ripped crossfitters, but you point to the one who is the exception to the rule, but still has arms twice as thick as Aloy's.

And don't move the goalposts, the relevant part was not the air conditioning but that they mostly work out indoors, so they don't get tanned. Most of them are lime white. I don't even know what is your point? That they do work outside but are somehow immune to getting tanned? And all this to defend the obviously not very realistic design of Aloy. Why?

The thing is that we are used to unrealistic female characters, and I'm mostly fine with it, until someone wants to gaslight me, with "no, that's actually realistic"

And your condescending attitude is ironic, when you couldn't possibly be more wrong. I've been into crossfit since the original "nasty girls" workout was uploaded to the OG crossfit blog, when youtube itself was just an irrelevant startup.

Emma isn't ripped like a lot of the others female athletes, the design of this particular heroine isn't what others seemingly envision as "heroic" (no ripped anything or pointy boobs) I didn't think that needed explaining OG crossfit person who doesn't seem to know what's going on today in crossfit

.. your attitude came across as condescending towards crossfit in general with their <pampered> airconditioned work outs and such.. so play with goal posts all you want if that's your things

The entire point was they are trying to make the main character look more realistic. If they had said representative this would be a different discussion.

Now we could all be wrong and your character could change as you level up and play the game. THAT would be kind of awesome. I don't see that happening mind you, but wow. I would give them the truly impressed slow clap for that one. AND that is the kind of thing with good game play that could see me looking at buying a PS5.

Now we could all be wrong and your character could change as you level up and play the game. THAT would be kind of awesome. I don't see that happening mind you, but wow. I would give them the truly impressed slow clap for that one. AND that is the kind of thing with good game play that could see me looking at buying a PS5.

Akin to the first Fable?

And minor, technical nitpick ... the Aloy character changes in a certain fashion. For a brief time (during the prologue), the player controls a young Aloy and then skips time to control the adult Aloy for the rest of the game. But I know that isn't what you meant.

Arguments on the internet are for fools. ;)

Become a Patron!
Back