HDMI 2.1a Adds “HDMI Cable Power” Feature, Enabling Active Cables without Need for Separate Power Connector

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
HDMI 2.1a has received an amendment that adds a new feature to the specification called HDMI Cable Power, enabling active HDMI 2.1 Cables to be powered directly from the HDMI Connector.

Go to post

Power over everything.

Honestly, I think it was just simpler when signal cables focused on being signal cables and didn't try to do everything. Besides, it helped keep electrical noise isolated.

Power over everything.

Honestly, I think it was just simpler when signal cables focused on being signal cables and didn't try to do everything. Besides, it helped keep electrical noise isolated.
POE is kinda nice for the things it's meant to be for though. I can't think of a single damned thing that HDMI Cable Power would be useful for though that isn't already on it's way out the door, like a DVD Player, maybe? or a streaming box (a lot of those already power from USB though)? Maybe cheap sound bars -- the kind you wouldn't want to be caught paying money for.

Big screens, audio receivers, gaming consoles... I can't think of much else that uses HDMI -- those all need enough power that they probably ought to be plugged in by themselves.

POE is kinda nice for the things it's meant to be for though. I can't think of a single damned thing that HDMI Cable Power would be useful for though that isn't already on it's way out the door, like a DVD Player, maybe? or a streaming box (a lot of those already power from USB though)? Maybe cheap sound bars -- the kind you wouldn't want to be caught paying money for.

Big screens, audio receivers, gaming consoles... I can't think of much else that uses HDMI -- those all need enough power that they probably ought to be plugged in by themselves.

For the streaming sticks it could save a USB cable. That's about it though.

Become a Patron!
Back