Intel Core i9-12900K vs AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Performance Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
12900k_banner-1024x256.png

Introduction

At the top-end of Intel’s new 12 Generation Alder Lake CPU product stack lies the Intel Core i9-12900K CPU (SRL4H) Alder Lake-S 881 CPU. It’s time that we review it. Thanks to Intel, we can make that happen. Today we take the fastest Alder Lake CPU and compare it directly against the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X to see who comes out on top in 2022. This is an Intel Core i9-12900K versus AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, head-to-head, in synthetic benchmarks and gaming performance at 1080p, 1440p, and 4K in 2022 review.

If you want the lo-down on the Intel 12th Gen CPU architecture check out our
Continue reading...

Last edited:
Thanks @Brent_Justice for the great in-depth comparison review. I never doubted for a moment that the 12900K would come out on top, even though I have a soft spot for AMD. Intel seems committed to have its xx900K processors staying on top no matter the power or heat issues that may come up. On the other hand I like how you pointed out how much more economical the 5900K could be and still be a great performer. Factor in the occasional sales that have been happening and the incentive to get one only becomes sweeter.

Thanks @Brent_Justice for the great in-depth comparison review. I never doubted for a moment that the 12900K would come out on top, even though I have a soft spot for AMD. Intel seems committed to have its xx900K processors staying on top no matter the power or heat issues that may come up. On the other hand I like how you pointed out how much more economical the 5900K could be and still be a great performer. Factor in the occasional sales that have been happening and the incentive to get one only becomes sweeter.
Further into Intel's favor, and really to my dismay (I was looking forward to moving to AMD myself...), is the platform underpinning the CPUs.

AMD has had hell with USB ports 'wigging out', Thunderbolt support is... thin, M.2 slots are sparse - and that was comparing with Z590, with Z690 advancing further. And then there's all the skimping that motherboard manufacturers historically like to do with AMD boards in general.

Yeah, if you're pinching pennies and trying to maximize compute, I wouldn't recommend anything other than AMD unless your specific workload simply runs better on Intel. More performance cores means more performance cores and AMD is definitely shipping more cache per core, and you get that level of performance with far cheaper motherboards and memory.

AMD has had hell with USB ports 'wigging out', Thunderbolt support is... thin, M.2 slots are sparse
I've had pretty good luck with my cheapo MSI X570 motherboard. Granted I don't use all the ports but haven't run into any issues so far. It's only got 2 of the M.2 slots, one gen4 and one gen3. I've been using the gen4 and I'm considering getting a 2 TB for the gen3 just so I can take out the sata SSD. It's silly but I've always though it would be neat to have a desktop that only has its drives in the motherboard slots.

The downside of having the cheap motherboard I've got is its the version many commented on the hot VRMs so I don't really plan on upgrading to a 5900X or 5950X with it. It's been fine with the 3700X but that thing is a kitten compared to them.

The "CPU Usage While Playing a Game" section is inherently flawed, as it specifically chooses the only game that is 100% GPU bound at all resolutions.

In cases where the Intel processor actually provides a performance benefit, it will also consume significatly more power. If it is always being used in such a way that it consumes no more power than the AMD CPU, then why choose one over the other?

AMD has had hell with USB ports 'wigging out', Thunderbolt support is... thin, M.2 slots are sparse

Don't companies like Mediatek and Realtek make the usb chips for the motherboards?

I've never had any wig out on me... b350 and x470 mobo's. But I have definitely had plenty of Intel based Dell laptops that did inexplicable sh!t with usb devices

Don't companies like Mediatek and Realtek make the usb chips for the motherboards?
Generally, the main / first / primary USB ports come from the chipset - it makes sense that Intel's are usually better behaved, because USB is their technology. However, it's also just not that hard to do - for most companies.

AMD just has the challenge of regularly needing to deal with third-party chipset vendors and have been doing so since they burst onto the scene with the K7 and had to have a new chipset for it. VIA is an old, hated name for a reason!

That all said, it's an issue that comes and goes. Driver and BIOS updates have been reported to address problems. Here's one writeup on the issues last year:

I've never had any wig out on me... b350 and x470 mobo's. But I have definitely had plenty of Intel based Dell laptops that did inexplicable sh!t with usb devices
I definitely won't claim Intel boards / systems have been problem-free. I've had my share of issues with motherboards and laptops alike, and with USB being host-based, the peripheral connecting is always suspect too, as well as the cables. I think I'm on my third cable for my SSL2+ USB audio interface...

The "CPU Usage While Playing a Game" section is inherently flawed, as it specifically chooses the only game that is 100% GPU bound at all resolutions.

In cases where the Intel processor actually provides a performance benefit, it will also consume significatly more power. If it is always being used in such a way that it consumes no more power than the AMD CPU, then why choose one over the other?

Firstly, the test was done exactly as the header suggests, so there is nothing misleading, CPU temp and power were tested while playing "a game." Nothing flawed about that, you knew what was to follow. We didn't specify any type of game, just "a game." Though we happened to use a very demanding one.

Second, we tested at 1080p, with a 3080 Ti, which is less demanding on the GPU.

Third, we have shown multiple times that there are performance differences at 1080p on a 3080 Ti in this game between CPUs. Between the two CPUs in this article, there was an FPS difference. In our 12700K vs 5800X article, there was an FPS difference. In our 5600X vs 3600X article, there was an FPS difference. In our 5800X vs 3700X article, there was an FPS difference. Conclusion - the CPU is affecting 1080p results between CPUs in this game, on Ultra.

Fourth, it is impossible of course to test every game for such a comparison. We chose a game that uses modern gaming features, graphics, and CPU support. One that would push the system as hard as possible on all fronts.

Firth, typically gamers use even less CPU than this as they play at higher resolutions and more demanding settings that make them completely GPU dependent. Therefore, if anything, our results show an inflated CPU utilization result than what you'd typically get while gaming, because you'd most likely be even more GPU dependent as you run games to the max ability of your GPU, taking the CPU more out of the equation.

Doesn't this whole statement imply that the Intel CPU has legs, meaning that it can use more power to perform more work when needed? Wouldn't that be a good enough reason?

Become a Patron!
Back