Intel Defends Its Misleading Marketing Attack on AMD’s Third-Gen Ryzen CPUs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
During IFA Berlin, Intel's marketing department released a slide deck that didn't sit well with AMD fans and others in the hardware community. Some of the more controversial slides implied that Ryzen's Cinebench benchmarks were dishonest and not indicative of real-world usage because Maxon's Cinema 4D suite was only relevant to .22% of users.

der8auer and Hardware Unboxed have pointed out how ridiculous and misleading this figure is because it actually came from Intel's own "Software Improvement Program" poll, which queried only notebook and tablet users. This is laughable, being that Cinebench 4D is usually run on high-powered desktops.

Intel's Chief Performance Strategist Ryan Shrout has taken to Medium to defend himself. According to Shrout, that portion of the presentation had nothing to do with desktop and only concerned mobile. He did apologize to Roman Hartung (der8auer), Guru3D, and PC Perspective for using their story items to trash AMD without a heads-up, however.

Something that I simply didn’t think about before the slides for the event were posted publicly was how much of the discussion, context, and transitions between topics were handled through voice over. Press that weren’t in attendance (or the enthusiast community that looked at the slides separately) didn’t have that advantage, and as such, some of the ideas could be misconstrued or taken out of context.

Billion dollar company.......what in the world are they worried about?

From Ryan's Medium post:
Clearly you can see that in context, and with the voice over of me presenting, the move away from desktop discussion to notebook discussion is very clear. Without the voice over…not so much. Consider this one of my personal learning experiences for making slides and presenting!
Like Ryan hasn't made slides before? Screw the presentation; the slides are what the majority of viewers are going to see out in the real world. Poor excuse at best. This isn't Ryan's first rodeo. He knows how to present information in a logical order. These slides are a mess and it was on purpose. Either that or he didn't make the slides but had to wrap a presentation around them - but from his Medium post, it seems like he created both and had full control over both.

When my greyhound "Tigger" was hit by a car .. he was still alive when I got to him. I picked him up off of the street and he was in so much pain that he bit and latched on to my arm ..

..wounded animals tend to do that.. :cry:

Regardless of context the slide is representing a different reality. If it was about mobile then why even bother bashing maxxon? They could have said 3d max was only .22% and not real world and still have been wrong as it's plenty real world , on desktop/workstation...

Become a Patron!
Back