Intel to Battle AMD and NVIDIA with New Gaming-Optimized GPU Microarchitecture

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-graphics-xe-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

By now, you’re probably aware that Intel’s new “Xe” graphics architecture comprises three segments – LP (mobile), HP (workstation), and HPC (exascale) – but according to a new report from VideoCardz, Raja Koduri and his team are prepping an additional branch that’s designed specifically for gaming. This segment, dubbed Xe-HPG, is expected to deliver graphics cards that are capable of hardware-based ray tracing. They’ll also leverage GDDR6 memory, which isn’t too surprising.

“Intel has not confirmed the specifications of the GPU, but it was said that it features the GDDR6 memory subsystem to improve the performance per dollar ratio,” wrote VideoCardz. “On the other hand, the Xe-HP series will feature HBM memory.”

“NVIDIA introduced hardware raytracing 2 years...

Continue reading...

If the Xe-HP is anything to go by then the HPG gamer version is going to be a disappointment. I am sure the architecture differs in some way to the data center and HPC products, so we'll have to wait and see to find out how it really stacks up against NVIDIA and AMD.

To be clear, I think Intel does have the R&D budget to compete with NVIDIA and AMD at some juncture. Unfortunately, it will take a couple of generations for that to happen. You don't just accomplish such a task your first time out.

To be clear, I think Intel does have the R&D budget to compete with NVIDIA and AMD at some juncture. Unfortunately, it will take a couple of generations for that to happen. You don't just accomplish such a task your first time out.

And don't forget from market cap and base financials, Nvidia is bigger and has more sway than Intel does.

Nine moms can't make a baby in a month.
After a certain point, typically into the multiple millions ( 10s low 100s), "RD money" doesn't seem to scale that great.. unquestionably is not magical... its always been my observation ( but granted is in the millions a year, not on a shoe string) AMD, Nvidia, Apple, Amazon I would argue have equal rd in the practical sense to Intel.. its just a matter of what they are going to do. Certainly Nvidia and AMD will be there to compete directly at a similar or higher performance. .. Apple might be next. Amazon seems to be getting into servers.
I'm sure Intel will have something at some point. But Nvidia nor AMD are static targets.
At this juncture This is not a competition of size or money, Intel won't knock anyone out with or money and or market pressure.. Intel's competition has become sufficiently hardened to last them years, even tiny AMD... this is a competition of competence in running the company and teams and talent and how to best use it.
You know who knows this? Lisa Su and Jensen ( who I don't particularly like, but obviously knows how to keep talent and teams happy).
Who forgot this? Intel... So far anyway.. maybe they are redescovering it.

These most likely won't be any competition to AMD or Nvidia. At best they'll be low to low-mid OEM type cards for system builders.

That's my $0.02

Become a Patron!
Back