Intel XMP 3.0 Supported Memory List Expanded to Include Up to DDR5-7600

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
A new Intel XMP 3.0 supported memory list was recently spotted at the Intel Innovation 2022 event showing even faster DDR5 for 13th gen CPUs. We've already seen announcements

Go to post

I understand the intent of extended memory profiles (e.g. XMP) and don't have a problem with them in principle, but when every consumer memory kit on the market is advertised by its factory overclocked settings, is that not a sign that we need better standards? All of the memory kits I'm seeing require out-of-spec voltages in order to achieve their advertised frequencies and timings, some by as much as +0.4V. Samsung managed to produce a 512 GB DDR5-7200 DIMM over a year ago that conformed to the 1.1V voltage spec.

I'm not terribly fond of overclocked memory, and prefer to run with the fastest available "cool and stable" JEDEC standard profile. It would help if that information was made prominent in the product advertising.

The disconnect between the JEDEC standards and what's actually available on the market seems unusually large for DDR4. I hope DDR5 fares better in that regard, but don't know how likely that is to happen. I also really hope we see more unbuffered DDR5 ECC modules.

but when every consumer memory kit on the market is advertised by its factory overclocked settings, is that not a sign that we need better standards?
Hmm. You have a point.

I tend to look at the warranty length - and so long as the kit has sufficient warranty, and it covers the speeds (and voltages) they are advertising, then I guess I don't have a big problem with it.

You are right though - the voltage required to get the advertised speed is often buried somewhere, and most of these higher performance kits do run at higher-than-spec voltages.

but when every consumer memory kit on the market is advertised by its factory overclocked settings
This isn't strictly true - there are plenty of JEDEC DDR5 4800MT/s kits on the market. Some bare 'green' OEM sticks, some with heatspreaders and the like, that run at JEDEC voltages by default.

Samsung managed to produce a 512 GB DDR5-7200 DIMM over a year ago that conformed to the 1.1V voltage spec.
It's one thing to produce an engineering sample - quite another to mass produce a product, I'm sure you understand. So far DIMMs with Hynix DRAM ICs have been the only mass-produced modules that can hit speeds like these.

The disconnect between the JEDEC standards and what's actually available on the market seems unusually large for DDR4.
You have DDR4 modules going up to 5333MT/s or thereabouts - and very, very few systems could actually run those speeds, so I agree with you there. From what it looks like with DDR5, JEDEC standards are likely to keep up with memory speeds at least until modules start hitting 10,000MT/s.

Become a Patron!
Back