James Cameron on "Avatar 2" Breaking "Avengers" Box Office Record: "It's a Certainty"

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
You can't blame the director of "Terminator 2" and "Titanic" for being a confident guy. James Cameron is currently hard at work at the sequel to his worldwide hit, Avatar, and while it won't see the light of day until December 2021, the self-proclaimed "King of the World" already has bold predictions for it. According to Cameron, "Avatar 2" will, without a doubt, reclaim the top box-office slot from "Avengers: Endgame."

"I think it’s a certainty," says Cameron of "Avatar" eventually passing "Avengers" in theaters. "But let’s give 'Endgame' their moment and let’s celebrate that people are going to the movie theater."

Cameron says he "really enjoyed" the superhero epic and admires the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But he clearly relishes the idea of taking the top spot again.

"I don’t want to sound snarky after I took the high road (by offering congratulations)," he says. "But they beat us by one quarter of a percent. I did the math in my head while driving in this morning. I think accountants call that a rounding error."

He's one of the most profitable directors in the world. I know, that's a big statement but like him, do the math. It's kind of staggering. I'm not some kind of Cameron fanboy but I've watched those numbers. I do, however, have some doubts on what Avatar 2 will accomplish. It was a different time when the first one came out. The bar has been raised quite a bit since then. If it does then congratulations to him. Only time will tell.

It has a chance to do it, but I don't know that it will be that successful. He's got balls saying that and I don't know if I respect it or hate his smugness. I'm sure it will make a crap ton of money, but beating Avengers Endgame would be a significant achievement. I for one, will not be interested. I didn't get into the first one. From what I understand and from what little I've seen, it's Dances with Wolves in space.

The way I see it he's earned the right to say what he did considering what he's accomplished already. If this had been some up-and-comer with a short track record of success, then yeah, I'd say he ought to be more humble. He likes to push things technologically so it should be interesting to see what he comes up with and if he maintains a good visual continuity otherwise the first might look quite dated in that respect.

I won't be helping him with ticket sales. I haven't even watched the first one and have no desire to. As someone already mentioned it was a different time when the first released. Many people have said the movie was little more than a tech demo as the story was not very good and seemed to be a direct rip off of I believe Fern Gully or something like that.

I didn't get into the first one. From what I understand and from what little I've seen, it's Dances with Wolves in space.

I agree. Just got everyone enamored with the visuals and not much of a story line.

Don't forget the massive helping of SJW b.s. tossed in.

Those evil corporations and military wanting to kill people for profits.

Really ****ing regret seeing Avatar in the movie theaters. That movie was ***. A ****ing ripoff. Endgame was vastly superior on every level (not that this is hard to do). I don't see Avatar 2 beating Endgame. I don't know anyone who liked Avatar. I was happy when Endgame took the top spot from Avatar.

Really ****ing regret seeing Avatar in the movie theaters. That movie was ***. A ****ing ripoff. Endgame was vastly superior on every level (not that this is hard to do). I don't see Avatar 2 beating Endgame. I don't know anyone who liked Avatar. I was happy when Endgame took the top spot from Avatar.
I had to re-watch it a couple of times until it dawned on me. It was really "Dances with Wolves" in space.

I don't think that movie has as many lasting fans as he thinks... I might watch it though.

Come ON guys. That movie was great at the time. The effects were outstanding!!

hang on to your britches because it's not just a sequel, it's FOUR sequels being made at the same time. And people cry about Star Wars fatigue... no one even wanted ONE sequel to Avatar.

Become a Patron!
Back